Tire siping

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Groove them!!!

Sipng definately helps, but it increases the wear if wheeled hard.

kairo

Staff member
it decreases wear on the road by allowing the tires to remain cooler. They will chunk on rocks though if you wheel them hard

rusty_tlc

Denis said:
Groove them!!!

Sipng definately helps, but it increases the wear if wheeled hard.
So I'll need to avoid speed bumps? :D

I have a set of used TSL super swamper on right now. The PO did some siping, not very agressivly.

KYOTA

lot of people groove new tread, myself I'm going to wait untill thier getting worn about half tread then groove them to bring them back to life

Samco Fab

I groove tires at my shop, let me know what you need, I can groove from about .125" wide to about .900" wide. Grooving tires is fun if you have a sweet Iron and you only have to do 4 tires. A good Iron is about $400

rusty_tlc

samco fab said:
I groove tires at my shop, let me know what you need, I can groove from about .125" wide to about .900" wide. Grooving tires is fun if you have a sweet Iron and you only have to do 4 tires. A good Iron is about $400
Please excuse a stupid noob question. Is grooving the same as siping?

KYOTA

rusty_tlc said:
Please excuse a stupid noob question. Is grooving the same as siping?

same method, different results. Siping, imagine slicing the tread with a razor about 1/4" apart, good wet and snowy traction, the slits open up in the contact patch creating more leading edges. Grooving, 1/8"-1/4" grooves in the tread blocks, usually only one or two per block for dry traction, same principal more leading edges = more traction