to Moab and back

Spence621

I've heard that the Dirty Devil can get deeper, just as the road before it can wash out. I'd imagine if anything in the summer it should be lower. It's only necessary to cross if you want to continue on the road towards hatch canyon and the Maze district. It wasn't very deep when we went through, barely up to the sliders.

http://www.ruxtonnoble.com/poisonspring.html

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/richfield/recreation_/poison_springs_road.html

I ran it in 2wd the whole way until the crossing, although I'm sure I could have done it in 2 as well.

I'm confident that unless the road deteriorated your 4runner would make it just fine. Wouldn't be a bad idea to carry an extra 5 or 10 gallons if you plan on exploring deeper in. I think we burned about 1/4 tank on the way in and 1/4 on the way out and we turned around just after the car you can see in the above link. Not even to hatch canyon.

You'll probably want to invest in some sort of OBA though Spencer, carry some plugs, and carry a spare. Deflate your tires a bit and it'll make the ride much more comfortable.

I do have a pressure tank, 5 gallons at 120 psi, That was another thread. The concensus was that it wasn't effective enough, but maybe someone I'll go with will have one.
I have 4- 5 Gallon Jerry Cans, So that's covered I think.
I have a Spare, and a plug kit. Are the rocks sharp?
For the water crossing, I'm planning on extending my diff breather before the trip, so that should help. I know water's bad to get in the alternator, computer and Air intake, anything else?

Bob

Thanks for the great write up. It's been way to long since I have been to Moab & your pics make me really want to go back.

maxamillion2345

I do have a pressure tank, 5 gallons at 120 psi, That was another thread. The concensus was that it wasn't effective enough, but maybe someone I'll go with will have one.
I have 4- 5 Gallon Jerry Cans, So that's covered I think.
I have a Spare, and a plug kit. Are the rocks sharp?
For the water crossing, I'm planning on extending my diff breather before the trip, so that should help. I know water's bad to get in the alternator, computer and Air intake, anything else?

Yeah your tank wouldn't work out very well. For about 60$ get the MV50 compressor, good to go. There are a lot of rocks and you're running on them for days, neither Josh or I had any issues but we both have 10 plys. Yeah extend your breathers and you should be set.

Spence621

Yeah your tank wouldn't work out very well. For about 60$ get the MV50 compressor, good to go. There are a lot of rocks and you're running on them for days, neither Josh or I had any issues but we both have 10 plys. Yeah extend your breathers and you should be set.
I'm not sure how thick my tires are, Is it on the tire somewhere? They're 28" Uniroyal liberator A/T's, I've been on some rough stuff before, but not for that long probably.

maxamillion2345

It was an awesome trip and I'm so lucky to have had Josh and Lauren to go with, wouldn't have been easy without them.

Thanks everyone!

Brigitta

Thanks for sharing the great pics. I'm bummed we have to miss out on Moab this spring due to my husbands new job. He hasn't started yet, but he is hired and has to wait for the position to open, so we just have to stay close to home until he starts and gets a schedule.

Maybe Moab should be an annual event :)

RARECJ8

aah progress-- here is a pic from earlier w/out the protective covering. Wonder why? Vandals or are we being protected from our selves?

DSC07597.jpg

maxamillion2345

aah progress-- here is a pic from earlier w/out the protective covering. Wonder why? Vandals or are we being protected from our selves?

DSC07597.jpg

The sign said a bunch about dangerous and extremely hot and not being maintained by the BLM and all that crap.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the area hauls it off, maybe a Nye county commissioner. :D

RARECJ8

Since its a good distance out and back to that site you for sure had a soak? Since it takes effort to get there, why not. Near the lower pool and directly south uphill there used to be a large in ground concrete swimming pool and after it was abandoned it slowly filled in with silt and minerals. (like out at warm springs, nv on hwy 6) Later someone with a backhoe filled in and basically buried the pool area.

As more travelers discover this place, it slowly loses charm. Still a nice must-see on 50 east.

maxamillion2345

Since its a good distance out and back to that site you for sure had a soak? Since it takes effort to get there, why not. Near the lower pool and directly south uphill there used to be a large in ground concrete swimming pool and after it was abandoned it slowly filled in with silt and minerals. (like out at warm springs, nv on hwy 6) Later someone with a backhoe filled in and basically buried the pool area.

As more travelers discover this place, it slowly loses charm. Still a nice must-see on 50 east.

I've soaked in the lower tub but this time we just had lunch, just something I thought they might like to see since it's not far off the highway. Interesting to know about the pool though. There is such cool history out there and it's often hard to find little facts like this.

Brigitta

DSC07597.jpg

Years ago when we lived in the Carson Valley we lived walking distance from the Saratoga Hot Spring. Lot's of young folks at night drinking and causing a raucus and finally the death of a homeless man had it fenced off.

Too bad people don't know a good thing when they have it ......

sierrahsky

Ok I wanted to reply to this thread because Max is leaving out TONS of information.......

What max did not tell you ( he is modest) about HELLS REVENGE and the GATE is that before we hit it, a veteran of Moab who runs it on a weekly basis in a long wheel base jeep was kinda jokingly pushing max in to doing it and at the same time making subtle hints that a tacoma like his will be a "throw" away after he runs it. So when max and I went to check it out we thought the first side was fairly rough but all he needed was some spotting and some "ballz". Max Started in on the drop in and was doing great. I was spotting for him and had no concern at all safety wise because he was running through this "crazy" run like a champ so far. When we got to the other side as the spotter, you can call me a wimp but I thought " O CRAP " cause I could barely walk up it. The first part of it was not the issue, Max went up like it was not even a challenge, HOWEVER when he got to the top, the nerves started. The moab local warned that when you get to the top you have to punch it with power and hope you dont roll..... Well max did exactly that after a solid reset to get a good line, he at 1 point was on 2 wheels ( front right and back left, then popped a full wheelie and just went for it.
FRIGGIN

I may be new to moab type crawls, but to me that kid has BALLS! I rode with him because my girlfriend was majorly sick but there is NO way I would have done what he did. I am also so glad that I got to co-pilot & spot for that ride. It was 3 and 1/2 hours of pure fun and the excitement just did not stop!