Tochikoma

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
You had that registered? How did you drive it on the street with no windshield?

Registered no problem. NRS vehicle statutes at the time did not make it unlawful to operate without a windshield. They have now been revised to make it unlawful. When I drove my truck I used an SFI approved goggle or riding glasses. I was pulled over once and my goggles were inspected and I was off the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Going with 37’s
3d7774b5e5f8b986f72f0d3bfc66d1b5.jpg

Thanks Samco!

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Another change? Or an evolution? Hell I don’t even know anymore.
7cf63661f19a436f63c795fb4e793b88.jpg

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Fuck yeah!

Edit: THIS is why I went straight to tons on my buddy’s advice. Super duty or kingpin. Not have their advantages. Where did you find this one at?

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I must have missed that one. Face page sale is my guess. I picked up a Ford and matching 10.25 for the Jeep. No one likes the 10.25 and yet it’s almost identical to a 14 bolt on paper.
what rear axle are you running?

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
I don’t know. I’m still digesting the idea of a possible axle change up. If tons are the deal then a D60 rear for weight and clearance. There are pros and cons with both setups. 37 is a larger tire than I was going to go with for a trail truck. I wanted to keep the truck under 4200 pounds which was going to take some strategy. Tons would put the truck on the fatter side for sure. I have an LS motor with a car manifold, wire harness ready to run as well as an auto trans. Does seem that if I “go big” I’m going to want to have more power than 180hp from the 3rz.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I mean....it sounds like you have all the parts to do exactly the opposite of what you set out to do in the first place. Downside is all that work to the Atlas and doubler box will go out the window with the LS engine. At least the axles you could re-gear and maybe make up for the lack of power...until you go to 40s. You coudl eventually sell the doubler toyota box and recover part of what it would cost to swap the atlas to the transmission. right?

sounds like a REALLY hard spot to be in. Personally, I'd keep the underpowered rig and overbuilt axles. Might not be the fastest right out there, BUT you'd most likely never break something due to too much torque. Jsut be sitting in spots wanting more torque. :unsure:

WILLD420

Premium Member
Buddy had a 1st gen 4runner on tons with a 4.3 / Yota trans, dual cases. His constant worry was the output shaft in the rear. Even with 6.17 gears, he was always driving with that shaft in mind when doubled up, even in the snow. Hard call for sure. Lighter is better in almost every way but heavy is stronger, or stronger is heavier, whichever way you want to put it.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
I’m sticking with the FJ80,RCV axle shafts, Hellfire knuckled front and the Custom 9.5 Fj40 , chromo axle shafted rearend and 37’s. If I had some aspirations of 40 or bigger tires I would definitely go tons. I could just stash the 60 away with the motor I have to build another day. Or trade them for parts I need for the TochiKoma.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Buddy had a 1st gen 4runner on tons with a 4.3 / Yota trans, dual cases. His constant worry was the output shaft in the rear. Even with 6.17 gears, he was always driving with that shaft in mind when doubled up, even in the snow. Hard call for sure. Lighter is better in almost every way but heavy is stronger, or stronger is heavier, whichever way you want to put it.

Ya that’s why I ditched the dual toy cases.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
If I had a blah blah blah. Ls engines sell quick I would assume. Kingpin axles seem to command gold and I hit the jackpot when I found mine. I think RCVs would be as strong as tons. I was just looking at the Dana 60 bible and stock 60 axles are good for around 9,000 psi or ft lbs or something high like that. Rcv axles should be around there.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
LS engines do resale well if you have proof they run well. As for the axle I can set that aside and a future customer will be needing it soon enough. I am considering ditching the leaf springs and going all link suspension.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
my step father was screwed when he bought his LS engine. said it was a good running 6 liter. Turns out it had three burned pistons and was a 5.3. I guess it’s a gamble any time you buy the engine without hearing it run. I just wish I had a spot to keep it and a plan to swap my Jeep with one.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
I have been all over the place with the direction of my build in the last couple weeks. I think a concrete decision has been made but until this is a sealed deal( possession is 99.9% of the law) I’m not quite at the bullseye yet.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
The eagle has landed! Had to go to Sacramento to get this one and was blessed with a good deal. 2000 Tacoma extra cab shortbed 3rz manual trans no power locks or windows. Perfect trail truck.
0868ad9ef7321457fd31bb84fb8e1dae.jpg

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Good news from Hellfire about my high steer knuckles for my FJ 80 front end they are ready to ship out!! I also got my fox coil overs on order from Samco.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
I must have missed that one. Face page sale is my guess. I picked up a Ford and matching 10.25 for the Jeep. No one likes the 10.25 and yet it’s almost identical to a 14 bolt on paper.
what rear axle are you running?
Running a 10.25 for 20+ years no issues (knock on wood). 4:88 ARB and regular service seems to last. With 37s it can be a real diff grabber. When it keeps grabbing, squirt in a couple PSI into rear tires, issues reduced.

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Literally all this build thread is going to be for a while is me posting pictures of all the shit I plan to build my truck with while I build everyone else’s rig first. Once all my pieces are in place I will have to do a calculated build because my door will be closed to money making. Ordered all my link ends today 3 link front, 4 link rear trailing arm is the plan.

Last edited: