TPMS?

DJRENO

Premium Member
As I've mentioned in another thread I'm in the process of some pretty major (for me) mods on my JKUR - lift tires wheels gears, and the list goes on. While round up parts and components (and earning a ton of Cabela's points on my credit card o_O) it dawned on me I needed to acquire TPMS units for each wheel. These things aren't cheap. I have to get the thing flashed anyway to correct for the gears and tire size change and was contemplating simply turning the TPMS off and saving the money for the wheels units. Has anybody taken that route? Can anybody think of a down side other than having to check the air manually a bit more often?

Thanks.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Yes, with a Flashcal or similar device. I need the use of one of those to reset the speedo, odo, and shift points anyway. I'm uncertain whether the alert point can re set to a different level, but they claim they can be turned off, among other potentially desirable settings, like using the lockers without being in 4 low.

They are mandated by law because low tires are dangerous for driving and don’t get as good of gas mileage.

My light just came on, and it’s 240 bucks to replace them all or just take the bulb out of the dash (in my 4runner) and do it the old fashion way.

I think it’s fine to get rid of the sensors without a major risk, as long as you can check your tires once in a while.

carbonunit

I took mine out 8+ years ago. I run 25lbs on average and run 10 in the dirt. AEV Procal can disable it (Set to 0lbs)

DJRENO

Premium Member
They are mandated by law because low tires are dangerous for driving and don’t get as good of gas mileage.

My light just came on, and it’s 240 bucks to replace them all or just take the bulb out of the dash (in my 4runner) and do it the old fashion way.

I think it’s fine to get rid of the sensors without a major risk, as long as you can check your tires once in a while.
Maybe the light came on because your tires are cold or are low.....

WILLD420

Premium Member
I'll advocate for them, if, you can reset the warning to a level lower than stock to work with your new tire size and optimum street pressure.

If you've ever had a blowout at speed from a low tire, you know it's pucker time. Now, think about if you let a spouse, girlfriend, kid etc that won't realize or pay good attention drive your Jeep. Of course, they won't be familiar with how a lifted, big tired rig behaves or responds since they probably won't be routinely driving it.

Throw in some inattention, a little panic and inexperience, along with the likelihood they will be cruising pretty quick and they stab the brakes and crank the wheel when it starts the blowout dance.

Worth $250 to you?

Say they aren't hurt. What's your insurance deductible?

A little inconvenience now or maybe you get lucky later on and the only thing ruined is a $300 tire after they drive it flat till it cooks the sidewalls out of it.

My .02, mileage may vary.

Maybe the light came on because your tires are cold or are low.....

oh shit! I didn’t think of that! Just kidding. After I checked all my tires included the spare, it was determined that the back left sensor was out and needs a new battery. At that point it’s recommended to replace all sensors at once instead of chasing each sensor individually, same as replacing headlights.

grumpyoldretiredcop

Premium Member
My Tahoe's factory TPMS would only tell me that a tire was low... but not which tire. I added an inexpensive set of valve cap TPMS and now know which tire needs attention. Weight is pretty much negligible and they're accurate enough to warn that inexperienced driver that there's a problem. If it were me, I'd do what was needed to turn off the factory TPMS and use valve cap transmitters instead. If you air down to go offroad, all you have to do is remove the alarm from the cigarette lighter plug.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Following up - I found some TPMS monitors on Amazon for $23 each, nothing but 5 star rated (for what that is worth), so I gave them a shot. I had them installed in my new wheels along with new tires and they synched immediately with the Jeep.

Jscan works rather well to adjust TPMS threshold, gears and tire size. Used it this last WE by tweaking the tire size to coax the transmission to shift properly after the tires, gears, and lift were installed. A couple of rattles and squeaks to chase down, and this phase of the project appears to b complete.

willys dave

I don't like electronic Nanny's, or any other kind to be honest. I don't need a light to tell me when my tires are low, I'm responsible enough to do that on my own. Also, if you actually are a 4 wheeler, you let air out/in on a regular basis. not to mention checking many other things. Maybe I'm old school because I'm old but in the old days, we had zero electronics in our vehicles and I still like it that way. That's just me though but with this day and age with everything going on, less is more for me. I must say that my D.D. is an '08 jkur though, that I bought new and it has been a very reliable vehicle even with all the electronics. My TPMS light has been on for 12 years since I broke the valves off on rocks in Moab.

IMG_7020.JPG

Last edited:

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
did you just get aftermarket sensors or a whole new TPMS system? I need to do something for my camp trailer soon

DJRENO

Premium Member
did you just get aftermarket sensors or a whole new TPMS system? I need to do something for my camp trailer soon
Just the sensors. I used these:

so far, so good.

DJRENO

Premium Member
Follow up - all is good. Lift and gears are done. Tires and wheels installed. The essentials reprogrammed with Jscan. TPMS monitors working flawlessly - so far.

Interesting observation: After tires, suspension and new gears highway mileage is improved by about 1.2 mpg. In town is crushed by about the same amount.