Traction Bars

rusty_tlc

:D This time I'm not derailing Sams thread.
This thread tarction bars on PBB talks about different traction bar designs. I don't know how to make this board software link to a specfic post but about a third of the way down the first page they talk about the slip and twist design. Way simplier to build than a front shackle design, and no threaded section to gum up.

Norm the Big

Do you think the slip and twist would work as good as a shackle? If so then it would totally alleviate any need for the neato joints. (Sorry Samco) With the neat joints I would let a shop do it like Samco since I've got a 220 Stick machine I use at home. I'm afraid I might blast the joint housing apart. :eek:

rusty_tlc

I had to think about it for a while and make a few sketches but the mechanics work out. The only motion you want to restrict is rotation along the axis of the driveline. The slip joint in the middle lets the axle move up and down and rotate along the axis of the axle. It works well with Cruisers because the differential is offset so it's easy to mount to the center line of the axle.

rusty_tlc

They mention the sizes later in the PBB thread. I should be ready for a traction bar by next summer at the current rate of progress. This weekend is going to be all about building points up so I can abandon Mrs Rusty the following weekend. The following weekend I have a ride for the Rubicon. :D :D :D

Norm the Big

I'll be going with a friend who has gone several several times. That and he's a professional mechanic and we both got onboard air and air tools. :D

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
I have both types on my rig. The front is a telescoping design and the rear uses the shackle

Attachments

• frontdiff skid.JPG
    frontdiff skid.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 855
  • reardiff skid.JPG
    reardiff skid.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 846

Norm the Big

I have both types on my rig. The front is a telescoping design and the rear uses the shackle
Do you have a pic of the rear shackle?
How much would it run to have one made Eric? I love making my own stuff but it just seems I have less and less time to do it. That and I wanna spend my time wheelin now that it's going. :)