Trails???

EL CARLOS...XJ

Since the Jeep has not been sold yet I plan to take it out this weekend but I was wondering if there are any trails in the South Part of Reno. I went out last time couldnt find anything, maybe there are some ways to get to them that I dont know of. I would go to the North part of Reno but I was there last time and want to check out something new terrains.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
There's Hunter Lake Trail, but probably still has snow. Nick (kairo) lives in the south part of town and explored some trails over that way.

rusty_tlc

Head east on Damonte Ranch, the street in front of the S Virginia Walmart. Take a left onto Steamboat Parkway, follow it til it dead ends into a gated housing development. Follow the signs for the Sage Hill Gun Club. When the road turns sharp east (right) to the gun club go straight. Pretend not to see the sign on your right. Head north til you get to the power station, a big fenced area with lots of transformers and stuff. Follow the road that goes around the power station, the south side is quicker. From that point you can get to Lockwood, VC, Bronco Canyon, ????. Even back over to Hidden Valley, but that's a tough road to find. :cool:

Sauce

Hunter lake trail is in Caughlin but is a fun trail, it can be mild to wild. there are good directions on the board somewhere. Don't forget, take a buddy!

kairo

Staff member
rusty_tlc said:
Head east on Damonte Ranch, the street in front of the S Virginia Walmart. Take a left onto Steamboat Parkway, follow it til it dead ends into a gated housing development. Follow the signs for the Sage Hill Gun Club. When the road turns sharp east (right) to the gun club go straight. Pretend not to see the sign on your right. Head north til you get to the power station, a big fenced area with lots of transformers and stuff. Follow the road that goes around the power station, the south side is quicker. From that point you can get to Lockwood, VC, Bronco Canyon, ????. Even back over to Hidden Valley, but that's a tough road to find. :cool:

I think this area is off limits. It's the road for that quarry company back there.

Sauce

EL CARLOS...XJ said:
like with another rig?
Yeah carlos, that way if you get stuck (you never get stuck right :rolleyes: ) or your truck breaks or breaks down, you have somebody there to help. If you wannt to be stubborn and go by yourself, take a shovel, a cell phone, some water and food. Good luck.

EL CARLOS...XJ

davidt said:
Yeah carlos, that way if you get stuck (you never get stuck right :rolleyes: ) or your truck breaks or breaks down, you have somebody there to help. If you wannt to be stubborn and go by yourself, take a shovel, a cell phone, some water and food. Good luck.

yea well I have only not really took the rig out to some crucial spots just some things here and there nothing crazy and major. Are these trails some hardcore trails cause i dont really want to get stuck..

rusty_tlc

kairo said:
I think this area is off limits. It's the road for that quarry company back there.
They don't hassle you on the weekends, even during the week. They just don't want other trucking companies using that road. They want them to use the Rattle Snake mountain road. The environment cops watch the whole area pretty close. But they are mostly worried about commercial outfits, and me walking my dog in some area that will get plowed under to build more houses. :rolleyes:

Sauce

EL CARLOS...XJ said:
yea well I have only not really took the rig out to some crucial spots just some things here and there nothing crazy and major. Are these trails some trails cause i dont really want to get stuck..
No, hunter lake trail is not , it is just a good idea to take somebody with you. Besides, you never plan on getting stuck, it just kind of happens. Wish I had my rig all set up, I would go out with you. Unfortunately, I am waiting to do an axle swap and am stuck inside all weekend doing a paper :(

PizzaJeep

basically bring a friend in another 4x4 that can keep up with what you expect to be able to do... its as easy as posting a thread on the trail run category... people will come if you let them know... most of us are just itching to find an excuse to skip work for the afternoon and go wheeling... or on a saturday or sunday afternoon... i know i am always down to go wheeling... whenever any posts about going somewhere, i am definately behind them... except for this stupid week because of my axles... damn the bad luck... but i should be running again by next weekend...

EL CARLOS...XJ

PizzaJeep said:
basically bring a friend in another 4x4 that can keep up with what you expect to be able to do... its as easy as posting a thread on the trail run category... people will come if you let them know... most of us are just itching to find an excuse to skip work for the afternoon and go wheeling... or on a saturday or sunday afternoon... i know i am always down to go wheeling... whenever any posts about going somewhere, i am definately behind them... except for this stupid week because of my axles... damn the bad luck... but i should be running again by next weekend...

thats cool then, yea I have never met anyone from this forum in person except for RenoRacing, so yea maybe we will have to go out some time then I was not able to make it out this weekend :( but hopefully the following one well see.

RARECJ8

In south reno, try the toll road area-- some neat trails there and they lead to the VC highlands the 'old' way.
mb