Transmission!!! HELP

rockrawler81

alright...i first started noticeing it when i just coast in neutral(AX-15 Tranny) it felt like it was grinding against 3rd gear. so i stop, go though all the gears and it felt like they were stuck on something but they still went into gear. then i was driving on the freeway and i tried to downshift into 3rd from 4th and it kept grinding against the 3rd gear and would not engage unless i forced it into gear. the gears are fine accelerating but downshifting is a problem. its weird because i dont drive the jeep like a bad out of hell and it just happened. so what ive been doing (just for today) is when i downshift i put it partly into 2nd- like halfway- and then it goes into 3rd just fine... what do u guys think is the problem? please help!

DBXJ

syncros or a loose shift fork
if all else fails just swap the tranny with one from PnP like what me and sauce (aka davidt) did with his

DBXJ

Connect said:
I thought they stopped using syncros a long *** time ago...

umm no they still have syncros the long term for them is syncroniser ring i had the same probelm went and had them tighten and it was fixed

Connect

Just mentioning it cause my old 63 chevy had a 4 spd manual, and we rebuilt it cause the "syncros" were bad on 3rd and 4th. Syncro being when you shifted you had to put it like half way in gear, and let it spin up, then push it all the way in (not like nowadays were it just goes straight in)

DBXJ

trust me i know all about how to adj. the older ones the newer ones are some what more complicated
i think what your thinking of is linkages becuae i dont think they have used those since the early 80's
on thois link u can see how and where the syncros go http://www.wilsons4x4.com/oldcatalog/AX15.htm

Last edited: