Trek

RARECJ8

Anmyone on list doing Sierra Trek? We'll be in meadow lake base camp sat. morning thru sunday after breakfast...

mb

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Hey Mark. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday evening but I'll be hiking the trail on Friday shooting photos and spending the night at the main camp Friday night. Sorry we won't be up there at the same time. I talked to Ned this week and he is not going on Star Trek this year either, sounds like that run might be empty!

RARECJ8

what? no ned? no collard? WTF? haha

serouiusly, we'll just see how it goes. enjoy the wedding and we'll look fwd to ur next magazine story. keep up the good work.

so how was jarbidge?

mb

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I imagine that Chris will still be up there, his club (Sierra Treasure Hunters) does the showers. Ned is going to Colorado this year with Marcel and some friends that usually come out for Trek but I expect him to be back next year.

Jarbidge was OK, it was really pretty out there and the weather was nice but I wasn't really that impressed with the "event" itself. Still trying to figure out how I am going to write up that one...

RARECJ8

Trek has suffered its ups and downs over the years and the last few have been pretty good, however, the cost seems to keep going up and up. Some wheelers i know are getting turned off by the higher cost and lower service. Several have passed on ST this year, opting to run the trail on the tail end of Trek to sneak across the water before it goes back up. Personally, i have no issues, except the time 3 years ago when they ran short of food... and thats why i still bring my BBQ and extra chow.

We really enjoy Jarbidge-- going in from Charleston Res. is the most fantastic scenery i've ever experienced in Nevada. (also 76 Creek, Diamond A Ranch, etc.) I understand most shovel brigade events were in Elko-- we prefer to simply stay in Jarbidge. Last year i added over 200 miles to our quads exploring all the various 'islands' and the like. We like the Tsawbitts B&B in town along the creek and the Outdoor Inn, the only bar in town. Phil B said he spend most of the time in South Canyon helping get some broken heep out of the river. It's such a LONG drive to get there, we usually spend a week in town as the exploration opportunities are endless.

cheers!

mb

PS if u ever need someone to carry ur camera bag on assignment, keep me in mind.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Thanks for the offer Mark, I know that you get out on the trail a lot so I will probably take you up on it sometime. I am working down at Beale AFB during the week now and back in Reno on the weekends, so that has made it hard to do much wheeling this summer. I have been going to Trek since I was 6 months old though and have come back from Venezuela and New Jersey to attend, but I wasn't able to get back from Alaska last summer so I definitely do not want to miss it this summer, it is one of my favorite events and I like to support Cal4Wheel.

My frustration with Jarbidge was events like the one involving Phil. People and vehicles being left behind on the trail, drinking on the trail, not Treading Lightly. I was surprised to see those actions at such a high profile event.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Sauce said:
what mag does dirty harry write for?

I do freelance writing, I am not associated with any one particular magazine. I've had work published in FourWheeler, 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility, Off-Road, Off-Road Adventures, and 4x4Builder. I am mainly working with Phil Howell and Off-Road these days, but I had stuff in Off Road Adventures this month and have a tech article in next month's FourWheeler.

Fish Sticks

I just received my Trek packet in the mail this week. I leave with the first group on saturday morning. Woo Hoo nothing like getting up at 3 am to make it to the staging area.
Shame not more people are going or support Cal4WD as this is one of the best events I've attended.

EricsXJ

I'm going to try and go Saturday just to watch and cheer Cutthroat on.

Dirty Harry said:
I do freelance writing, I am not associated with any one particular magazine. I've had work published in FourWheeler, 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility, Off-Road, Off-Road Adventures, and 4x4Builder. I am mainly working with Phil Howell and Off-Road these days, but I had stuff in Off Road Adventures this month and have a tech article in next month's FourWheeler.

"The $275 Solution" ? Good article. Read it a few days ago and had no clue it was being written by someone local! One of these days we'll have to get together and talk - I'm finishing my first book for CarTech Books in their SA Design Series due out next spring. Its about the Jeep Cherokee (of course...) :)

DBXJ

EricsXJ said:
I'm going to try and go Saturday just to watch and cheer Cutthroat on.

"The $275 Solution" ? Good article. Read it a few days ago and had no clue it was being written by someone local! One of these days we'll have to get together and talk - I'm finishing my first book for CarTech Books in their SA Design Series due out next spring. Its about the Jeep Cherokee (of course...) :)

LOL neither did i one of my friends said it been a great help with his project

EricsXJ

From the Sierra Trek site:

Entertainment Only:
No meals, no trail. $50.00 per adult, $20 per child 7-12, children under 7 free.

So I need to pay $70 to go watch this with my son? Is this a joke?

Fish Sticks

EricsXJ said:
From the Sierra Trek site:

Entertainment Only:
No meals, no trail. $50.00 per adult, $20 per child 7-12, children under 7 free.

So I need to pay $70 to go watch this with my son? Is this a joke?

I just read that too. I have never been charged in the past to just watch. Maybe they are trying to discourage to many people from showing up and running rampant. Last year a young guy got to take a helicopter ride out after a quad accident. I wish there was cell phone service up there and then I could confirm and call friday night.

EricsXJ

Cutthroat, I won't be going. Partly because the fee but also because I'll be finishing up the book. If you want to borrow my spare 8.25 shaft you can pick it up tomorrow night but you'll have to drive to Cold Springs. I think you have my number. If not just PM me. Sorry, I won't be there to see you run it. Good luck!

RARECJ8

first of all, Cal4Wheel is an awesome organization that, among many good deeds and benefits is instrumental in the ongoing fight to keep open many favorite trails. Nevermind that, Trek is their annual main event to raise funds, continue the fight and have fun wheeling in the process. I have no issues with paying $ to run an event that huge. It's just like one of the Jeep Jamborees, pay to drive. They have a parade permit and its all legit. What if ur not running the trail?

Some folks don't care to drive the trail, like moms and other family members that will hang in base camp or visitors that come up to see all the excitement. They still may want to eat, so that helps explain the food/entertainment fee. They bring in several semi trucks full off supplies, a full kitchen and for the meal deal alone, u get like 8 meals. Then there is live music, entertainment, gigantic raffle, the bar (which is nice BTW), bon fire, mfgr's midway and lots of cool 4x4 metal to drool over.

So say ur not into the trail and will not be needing to eat at the main kitchen. then what? Well, u can still visit base camp, walk around, buy raffle tix for the drawing sat night, have drinks in the bar, dance w/ ur honey (if ya got one, :disagree: :disagree: ) and have a good time. You can set up ur tent in base camp and cook or BBQ ur own chow. You can drive down to winch hill 5, the last big climb before u hit trails end, and watch the different runs come up and off the trail. That's always an entertaining show, especially w/ all the heckling from the already finished drivers, etc. The Sierra Treasure Hunters have hot showers in main camp, only a $1 I think.

All that costs you nothing, other than ur gas and $1 for a shower. Camp out if ya want, bring ur own chow and be sure to c'mon down and visit main camp. No questeions ever asked--hell, i'm not paying for a 'meal/entertainment' ticket, but i will go there, have fun, camp over, but raffle tix (they're giving away a 4x4 off-road tent trailer Sat night), be buying a few cold [adult] beverages in the bar, snacks or whatever listening to the live band. Don't think u have to pay $$$$ 'just to watch', that's just not true.

This is the PREMIER 4x4 event of the wheeling season and even if u just go for the day to explore base camp/winch hill 5 (about 90 minutes from reno), its well worth the effort.

So whatever...

BTW, We're leading a caravan to meadow lake base camp for some hills angels just going for the day or to camp over. We'll leave from Boomtown gas station this Saturday morning at 9:00 am-- all Reno 4x4s welcome to join up for the short drive and adventure.

CB 16 (4x4=16)
FRS 7:11

mb

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Very well put Mark. Like you I have always tried to support Cal4Wheel and their trail rides, this is a great way to have fun and raise money for land use issues as well. Having served as a committee member on past Trek events, I can tell you that there are HUGE fees associated with things like permits and porta-potties that need to be in place regardless if you are going on the run or not. That is at least part of the reason for the fees.

I'll be in the main camp on Friday looking for cool foolsize rigs, then on the LWB run on Saturday for Off-Road magazine before I head to Genoa for a wedding Saturday night. If you see a guy with a sunburn and a big heavy camera say 'hi'.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Weather was great this weekend and everyone I talked to at Trek seemed to have a great time. I showed up in the main camp on Friday afternoon and talked with some friends I had not seen in a while. The vendor area was quite active this year, that was good to see. Stayed Friday night and planned on going on the long wheelbase run on Saturday, but it was mostly Jeeps and I had a wedding to go to so I just cut out early. Still glad I came up and spent the night though, cannot wait until next year.