Tube doors

KYOTA

Built a set of tube doors today, technically pipe, using the leftover sch40 from my bumper build. copied Shaffers design
tubedoor36ge.jpg

tubedoor24ux.jpg

sten_mitchell

I love the bumper and doors... I am working on a set of half doors right now, and want to eventually make a front bumper like that for my truck. Great work!

Sauce

PizzaJeep said:
you made your bumper out of what??? how long sched 40 will that last when put up to the rock bash test?
Long enough pizza jeep, did you see the thread on pirate about the guy that made an exo out of sched 40 and it held up fine to flops. I would never build an exo out of the stuff, but it is more than fine for bumpers, tube doors, etc. DOM isn't necessare for every application, and if you do use it for everything, you are either rich or dumb. Anyway, back on topic I was wondering how much you are paying per foot for the pipe Kyota, I am going to do my tube bed out of pipe and was wondering how much it would cost me :D Good looking work by the way! What kind of welder are you using?You lay some *****in beads :yup:

Last edited:

KYOTA

lets see I think it was just under $2 a foot for 1 1/4" sch.40 which is 1.66" OD just a hair smaller than 1.75" but its .140 wall thicker than .120 but it is only half as strong as 1.75 DOM. But I agree, for sliders, bumpers and doors why not. Save the $$DOM$$ for exo's where you really need the extra strength. BoogerWeldz has a full pipe exo and bashes thee sh*t out of it with no probs. The welder is a Millermatic 210, best tool in my shop. I've used it to weld thin sheetmetal on a restoration project to cranking it up and burning some nice fatties on 5/8's

KYOTA

Smash, the latch is a simple pin like Marlins doors use butI dipped the latch end of the doors in Plasti-dip (the rubber coating for tool handles etc) so theres no rattling, this pic doesnt show the coated ends

tubedoor58yy.jpg