Ultimate "Expedition" Rig

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
What would be the ultimate expedition rig, that would comfortably carry driver + 3 "full size" passengers and gear for a few days of off-road travel? Land Cruiser 80 and 100 series come to mind, as well as 4-door Land Rover Defender 110 (and 130). LR Discovery I (DII's are too fussy with all the electronics and dummy sensors).
Am I missing any other vehicles? Ease of repair and modification and available aftermarket is a plus.

Connect

I kinda like the Land Cruisers like KellerH's. Factory locking diffs, in a luxury package.

There was someone on pirate who swapped mog's under his on like 38" tires with stock suspension and that thing was badass.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Defender 110. Was only imported and officially sold in US in 1993. Fairly rare and highly priced for a 15 year old vehicle.

Attachments

• 110~Home.JPG
    110~Home.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 6,691

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80. Much more available, while still holding a premium in price. Factory lockers in about 7% of all Cruisers sold. Made between 1990 and 1997.

Attachments

• 94fzj80gv.jpg
    94fzj80gv.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 10,924

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Discovery I, made between 1993 and 1998. Don't know much about them, just that they are preferred to Discovery II (1999-2004), due to less electronics. Also, appears to have less storage behind the second row, compared to Defender and FZJ80.

Attachments

• arblrdbb.jpg
    arblrdbb.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 6,849

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 (1998-2007?) I know, it's got IFS, but how detrimental is it to overland travel. Lifting one of there might be an issue. How easy it would be to SFA this one? Higher pricing due to this being a newer vehicle, but most of these you find will be very clean, "never off-road" rigs.

Attachments

• DSCF7313_JPG.jpg
    DSCF7313_JPG.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 5,896

Dirty Harry

Staff member
You have to lift a 100 Series pretty high to clear the oil pan Denis. If you really want one, Slee Off Road's Blueberry is for sale. Like you said though, the IFS really is not a detriment to overland travel. One of the nicest 100 Series in the country, Dan Streight's, is in Reno. He is very happy with it and there is actually a fair bit of aftermarket support for them.

I am a fan of the 80 Series though due to the solid front axle, available factory lockers, and simple/robust engine. It is not nearly as fast as the 2UZ in the 100 Series though.

The Discovery would be the low buck option. Resale on them is horrible, which might have something do do with the four cylinder power and V8 mileage. Or the 24 spline axle shafts. Or the two pinion differential carriers. Or... you get the drift. They do have a lot of style though and great suspensions.

I would still take the 80 Series out of the three.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
You have to lift a 100 Series pretty high to clear the oil pan Denis. If you really want one, Slee Off Road's Blueberry is for sale. Like you said though, the IFS really is not a detriment to overland travel. One of the nicest 100 Series in the country, Dan Streight's, is in Reno. He is very happy with it and there is actually a fair bit of aftermarket support for them.

I am a fan of the 80 Series though due to the solid front axle, available factory lockers, and simple/robust engine. It is not nearly as fast as the 2UZ in the 100 Series though.

The Discovery would be the low buck option. Resale on them is horrible, which might have something do do with the four cylinder power and V8 mileage. Or the 24 spline axle shafts. Or the two pinion differential carriers. Or... you get the drift. They do have a lot of style though and great suspensions.

I would still take the 80 Series out of the three.

Is "blueberry" the 100 they have for sale on MUD and their homepage? I just don't have $29500 to spend on the rig, nor do I need a supercharger. :D

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Is "blueberry" the 100 they have for sale on MUD and their homepage? I just don't have $29500 to spend on the rig, nor do I need a supercharger. :D

The Blueberry is the one with the solid front axle. It was in the Petersen's Ultimate Adventure this year and there will be a tech story on the solid axle swap in next month's 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility. The one with the turbo is SUPER nice, maybe too nice for a wheeling vehicle. If I had the money I would buy it, it drives like a dream.

Do you have any pics or links this this one?

He goes by spressomon on Mud.

streight.jpg

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
The Blueberry is the one with the solid front axle. It was in the Petersen's Ultimate Adventure this year and there will be a tech story on the solid axle swap in next month's 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility. The one with the turbo is SUPER nice, maybe too nice for a wheeling vehicle. If I had the money I would buy it, it drives like a dream.

He goes by spressomon on Mud.

streight.jpg

Ok, that's the one that was at Samco, I actually removed the rear shocks from it when it was getting FOXs. Didn't get a chance to look at it in detail.

Last edited:

billy

if you didnt want aftermarket parts for the vehicle i would prefer a mitsubishi montero
but with aftermarket parts i like any of the land cruiser's series of 4 wheel drive vehicles

Dirty Harry

Staff member
If I had $250,000.oo to throw around I would get an Earthroamer, too!!!!!

If I had a quarter mil I would take a Unicat over the Earthromer, but I don't think that is the market that Denis is in unless Reno4x4 is FAR more lucrative than I realized. :D

Did Dan's 100 Series do anything for you Denis? I really like it personally.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
If I had a quarter mil I would take a Unicat over the Earthromer, but I don't think that is the market that Denis is in unless Reno4x4 is FAR more lucrative than I realized. :D

Did Dan's 100 Series do anything for you Denis? I really like it personally.

For some reason, I thought it was an 80. I guess, since it was on the rack, I didn't pay attention. But, now I remember it having IFS, I just didn't connect the dots. All I remember that it was really rusty underneath, so the upper shock bolts were a PITA.

Now, if I can find a diesel 80 in the states, that would be sweet. :D

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Good luck. There is a place in San Antonio that will swap in a diesel motor, or Proffitt's Cruisers in Colorado is doing 4BT swaps into 60s and 80s.