Ultimate "Expedition" Rig

locrwln

For some reason, I thought it was an 80. I guess, since it was on the rack, I didn't pay attention. But, now I remember it having IFS, I just didn't connect the dots. All I remember that it was really rusty underneath, so the upper shock bolts were a PITA.

Now, if I can find a diesel 80 in the states, that would be sweet. :D

Dan's rig is awesome, he has done some really great work to it. I have followed or been followed by him through some amazing country in NV/CA. Plus he usually pulls an AT Horizon trailer.

He bought it back east, so that is why it is so rusty on the underside.

But for what is available in the states, yeah gotta go with the 80/100 LC's. Their only downside is gas mileage. The 80's were rated at 13mpg city, 15 hwy and that is about what you can expect.

That is why I am on my second 80. Factory lockers, under 10k purchase price, reliablity and all day comfortable, especially offorad. With a simple 2" lift, 33's, load 'em for bear and hit the road.

I would love a TD 80, but by the time you did a conversion, it's really a false economy at that point.

Jack

redneck6

i am a web wheeler

xj/ jk unlimted blazer foolsize berb are my picks not nessecarliy in that order , hell even for excursion with a 7.3 got to love the miliage in that .

Dr Smash

Reno4x4 Vendor
Hmmm, 4BT in a 80. :thumbsup:

new%20398.jpg

$20k for conversion. :eek:
That is ultra uber!!

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to add another rig to the list. Hummer H1. Little bit too wide and thins your wallet, but it's nearly bulletproof, diesel and has a high payload rating.

Attachments

• 06_h1alpha_front.jpg
    06_h1alpha_front.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5,644

Dirty Harry

Staff member
There is a lot of advice from the peanut gallery, but the Cruiser guys (and some Rover guys) are the only ones who are really doing expeditions in Nevada on a regular basis Denis. That should tell you something right there.

H1s are overpriced and underpowered, I would not consider them. They are too big to fit on most trails yet still have hardly any space inside due to the drivetrain placement, not the ideal expedition vehicle in my opinion.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if my Frontier was a crew cab, I would have kept it and built it for expedition use. They are very beefy and roomy. And the bed of the pickup truck would allow for ample storage.

72 Virginians

Staff member
Just throwing another suggestion out there but how about a Commander?
They're not popular with the traditional SUV buyer so the prices are reasonable on new vehicles. It seat 4 people comfortably (3rd row is just for looks IMO)
Lift kits are priced higher due to the IFS and you'll need to get a module to reprogram the computer (Issue with the wheels sensors and stability control not recognizing the larger tire diameter). Add a roof rack and you could carry lots of gear.

The Isuzu Trooper from 99-02 looks roomy enough but I don't know much about them.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Also, what is the opinion on the 4x4 van camper conversions? There's a nice Sportsmobile Ford couple blocks away from me, but I don't think I can get over "driving a lifted rape van".

Attachments

• 03_4x4_bmtn033_72dpi.jpg
    03_4x4_bmtn033_72dpi.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 827

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Just throwing another suggestion out there but how about a Commander?
They're not popular with the traditional SUV buyer so the prices are reasonable on new vehicles. It seat 4 people comfortably (3rd row is just for looks IMO)
Lift kits are priced higher due to the IFS and you'll need to get a module to reprogram the computer (Issue with the wheels sensors and stability control not recognizing the larger tire diameter). Add a roof rack and you could carry lots of gear.

The Isuzu Trooper from 99-02 looks roomy enough but I don't know much about them.

Troopers and Monteros are very popular overseas, but they don't seem to have much aftermarket support here for whatever reason. If you want someone relatively stock I think that either of those offer a lot of bang for the buck.

I would avoid the Commander though for a few reasons, one of which is the lack of aftermarket support. IFS doesn't bother me on an expedition vehicle, but the low ground clearance and unibody do.

Norm the Big

You guys must have big wallets. A good affordable expedition vehicle to fit 3-5 people could be a fullsize bronco. There's alot more room in there than one of those Euro jobs.

im000304.jpg

For comfort I like those shells you can put on a FS truck with the pop up tops but I think it would only be good for mild wheeling because I think the top would make it top heavy.

For durrability and comfort: Convert a Unimog! Now that would be cool. :)

locrwln

You guys must have big wallets. A good affordable expedition vehicle to fit 3-5 people could be a fullsize bronco. There's alot more room in there than one of those Euro jobs.

im000304.jpg

For comfort I like those shells you can put on a FS truck with the pop up tops but I think it would only be good for mild wheeling because I think the top would make it top heavy.

For durrability and comfort: Convert a Unimog! Now that would be cool. :)

Broncos/Blazers are nice, but try getting your older in-laws into the back seat and see how long they are comfortable. Plus the back seats in those things are like a park bench...

Also I can tell you if you spend a day bouncing over NV backroads, leaf springs will make you feel it.

I have done it on leafs, leaf/ifs, coils and prefer coils.

Coils all around, four doors and comfortable seats make a huge difference at the end of the day. That is why I am back to an 80. Plus they can be had for less than 10k, easy. Oh yeah and they have to be expedition white.:thumbsup:

Jack

Norm the Big

You may as well just put a trailer together and use your real rig to tow it if all you are looking for is to get more storage space.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
This is not bad for the price..I'm not sure on how they hold up with high milage??

They don't hold up good with LOW mileage! I think that Rovers are super cool looking, but the drivetrains are complete junk. 1" 10 spline axle shafts??!! A V8 that makes 182 horsepower??!! A transfer case that you cannot even lock??!!

Air Sierra

Staff member
They don't hold up good with LOW mileage! I think that Rovers are super cool looking, but the drivetrains are complete junk. 1" 10 spline axle shafts??!! A V8 that makes 182 horsepower??!! A transfer case that you cannot even lock??!!

Thats Crap!!!!! they look cool you think they would build them better.?..never mind look who builds them:D

Norm the Big

Thank you, thank you, thank you. *takes a bow* :D