Urgent: proposed changes to OHV program

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
The Silver State Off-Road Alliance
Nevada’s Resource for Off-Road recreation
DEADLINE TUESDAY JUNE 9TH 5PM

As most of you readers know the Nevada Revised Statutes and the Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 490 are the laws regulating off-highway vehicles the OHV Commission and the grants available through that body.
For years there has been some confusion in the regulations and laws that simply need tweaking to make the registration process a simply as possible and to utilize grant dollars for their intended purpose - trail establishment, signage and maintenance. SSORA is providing input and working with Nevada OHV Commission to make 490 as clear and concise as possible.

The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, as the parent entity, is currently proposing major changes to the NAC and we anticipate discussions to continue related to the NRS. The current proposed changes can be found here: (OHV websit link) SSORA is actively working on behalf of all off-road recreationists to ensure the changes reflect our constituents best interests. We will be working diligently now through the 2021 legislative session to make sure that happens.

Along with minor fixes there are three major subject matter areas that are being focused on:

1. Requirement for all OHV riders/drivers and passengers >>UNDER 18 YEARS OLD<< to wear a helmet and participate in safety training.
2. Replace all OHV registrations with a USE STICKER (approximately $25 per year or multi-year at a reduced amount) available from Licensed Repair shops (OHV retailers) or the local affiliated businesses gas stations or similar. This includes all out-of-state riders (an end of reciprocity).
3. Creating an additional seat on the OHV commission to represent the street plated 4x4s.

Nevada’s OHV program, including the seats on the Commission, are 100% funded from the revenue generated by OHV registration, and if successful the new Use Sticker. A vast majority of these funds are dedicated to the OHV Grant Program and cannot be used for the General Fund or any other purpose. These grants are available to all current OHV groups, but the “plated” community has largely been excluded. Our proposal means in order to create better representation the plated community would need to have an OHV sticker should they choose to operate on any OHV routes. While street legal vehicles’ regular registration dollars contribute to the general transportation fund there is no set aside for OHV. The bonus here is that there will more money in the OHV Grant program for clubs to use for trail establishment and stewardship. We at SSORA are dedicated to getting those grant monies into the hands of all OHV clubs and enthusiasts for the purposes they were intended, which has not been happening in the past. (Are you aware Friends of Nevada Wilderness has been getting OHV grants each year since the inception of the fund to put up barriers and signs limiting off-road use?) As part of our mission SSORA will assist Members with the grant application process and monitoring to increase responsible use of YOUR public lands!

We need your help and this is your chance to make your voice heard. Please let us know what you think and provide input by emailing SSORA at: [email protected]

CURRENT DEADLINE IS TUESDAY JUNE 9TH 5PM

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
A few things of concern, but mainly this:
Our proposal means in order to create better representation the plated community would need to have an OHV sticker should they choose to operate on any OHV routes.

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
A few things of concern, but mainly this:
Our proposal means in order to create better representation the plated community would need to have an OHV sticker should they choose to operate on any OHV routes.
Yeah I'm not sure I like this. I need another tax like I need another hole in my head.

zadar

I have no problem with sticker, I already pay for one every year for my SxS.
As for my Jeep I don't see why I would need sticker if I am driving on public roads, aren't dirt roads public roads? Car is registered which should cover it all.