Vegas rules?

Norm the Big

Hey. I've heard that there's a race cirquit based out of Vegas. I forget the name, VORA maybe? I was wondering if anyone knew how to find the rules for making a stock class race truck. I'm thinking of using my CherOkee if no one buys it. I've heard they race out at Fernley quite a bit. Thanx. NORM

Dirty Harry

Staff member
VORRA is based out of Placerville and ran by Big Rich, the same guy that organizes CalROCS events. They do a lot of racing out of northern Nevada, like Yerington and Hawthorne. Best In The Desert (BITD) is ran by Casey Folks and is based out of Vegas, they do races like the Vegas to Reno that is coming up early next month. VORRA tends to be a lot more grassroots, meaning that you need less money in order to be competitive.

I say go for it. :woot:

Samco Fab

Check out Jeep Speed, they race a couple of BITD, SCORE and I think MDR races in the Jeep Speed series. They have a couple of classes, one is very very stock, you could build it for a couple of grand and go racing. The only vehicle they allow is a Cherokee, and they get a lot of em racing. Last year in Parker AZ, it seemed that there were 50 or 60 of em. www.jeepspeed.com/

Baja or Bust

Down in Socal. there is MDR, which gets a lot of prerunners. They have a prerunner class and all you have to have is a score legal cage a cell and the cab ever thing else is up in the air. You can run 4-link, Beams, A-arm, Quarter eliptical springs, or old race trucks that cant run against Tropy Trucks anything.
Its more for people who just want to go out a race without dealing with the big money people, like Gordon, Herbst, Baldwins, McMillin, etc.

Norm the Big

Do you happen to know what kind of cage is required. The jeepspeed rules don't talk about the cage. Is a fuel cell required?

Baja or Bust

You need a Fuel Safe or an ATL fuel cell. I think the tubing size is 1-3/4 .120 wall for the main part of you cage. You also need 5-point 3 inch wide belts that are up to date I think its like ever two years to replace the belts.

Last edited:

DBXJ

heres what they require for jeepspeed....

Roll Cage -- A roll cage is required in every competing vehicle. This cage must basically consist of a main hoop, a windshield hoop, roof interconnecting bars, rear kicker bars, a main hoop diagonal, and gussets. Material must be 1 ?? x .120? wall mild steel or chromoly tubing for a vehicle under 3000 lbs., or 1 ?? x .120? wall mild steel (or 1 ?? x .120? wall chromoly) for a vehicle 3000 lbs. or over.

Last edited:

Baja or Bust

Here's a few trucks that run the prunner class at MDR.

oikhjkhyy.bmp

1459_MDR_g5622.jpg

post-2-95418-matt_s_on_the_ground____045small.jpg

Norm the Big

They should have a wheel your junk class. All that should be required is a cage and harness. Some folks take themselfs too seriously.

Samco Fab

Those pre runner/ race trucks arent cheap, dont let the trick light racks and fiberglass fool you. They are not $250,000 race trucks. Those trucks are the equivalent of Rockapes, Spoons or Joe's rockcrawlers with fiberglass pannels and larger shocks, and they started out as daily driver stock pickups. Those guys built those trucks on a blue collar budget, and they are really fast. At least one of those trucks was built by the owner in his garage with all the same tools as half of the "hardcore"guys already have. Each one of these guys went through the same levels of build up as every member of this board is going through. Sure I would love to build trucks like these for customers, but I would love to see guys build trucks half as trick as these themselves. We need to post pictures of more down to earth trucks.

Baja or Bust

So then, how much do you guys have into your rock crawlers when ever thing is said and done .:scratch:

The white truck in the pic is street legal. The guy drove it down for the Baja 500 raced it and won in class then he drove it back home. That truck is a daily driver and he dosent have 250 K in it. Almost all trophy trucks are around 2-350k race ready. Trophy trucks have around 700-850 HP and they have over 36 inches of rear wheel travel and there all chromoly cages and 10 inch rear ends, and most of the price on that is shop time and labor, all the parts are around 100k.
So anybody with a garage or a small shop can do it them selves well under 20 grand and have a fun street legal race truck.:rock: :rock:

Last edited by a moderator: