Warn Winch motor

willys dave

I have an old Warn M15000 winch that I restored but, it needs a new motor. I ordered a Warn replacement from Summit about 5 weeks ago and it hasn't come in yet, it's expected the 18th but, it's the second time they have postponed the delivery. Anyway, I'm in no hurry for it but the delay caused me to start thinking that maybe the delay is because it's on a slow boat from China. It turns out that I was right, the Warn Winch motor is made in China. If I wanted Chinese, for the price of the motor, I could have gotten a Harbor Freight winch but, I didn't want to do that, I try to buy USA made products first. BTW, I could just buy another Chinese off brand motor for about 100 bucks. The only saving grace is that the Warn motor does come with a 7 year warrantee. So, what would you do ? Just get the Warn motor or, buy another off brand cheap Chinese motor or, maybe get the one I have now repaired locally ?

Of course it’s from China, like everything else.

When I’ve had stuff on long back orders from Summit, they eventually mail me a refund check if they can’t source it.

I’d still get the warn motor from China, they likely still have better quality controls in place and a better building process than the knockoffs.

local repair is a good option if you can find a shop to do it. I always prefer repair over replace.
Jeff

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
Just depends how soon you need/want the winch, and how much you have to have the Warn name on the front of your rig. I've been told Warn is just a brand now and nothing like the good old days. The price is why there are so many Badland 12,000 pound winches around. $300 for a 12,000 pound winch compared to $800 for a name brand one.

ManNamedJed

Like I say over and over... Chinese made doesn't necessarily mean junk, US made doesn't necessarily mean quality. Both countries can and do make good and bad stuff. Its all in the design spec and QC.

Warn likely has theirs built to a higher quality spec than the generic manufacturers, and you have someone to deal with if it has an issue.

willys dave

Just depends how soon you need/want the winch, and how much you have to have the Warn name on the front of your rig. I've been told Warn is just a brand now and nothing like the good old days. The price is why there are so many Badland 12,000 pound winches around. $300 for a 12,000 pound winch compared to $800 for a name brand one.
I don't need the winch right away but I got the Warn Winch for free and rebuilt it so it has nothing to do with the Warn name on the front of my rig. Evidently Warn still makes their highest quality winches here and a lesser priced one in China. This Warn M15000 pound winch cost about $1800.00 new. If it were $800.00, I wouldn't buy a $300.00 motor for it. I guess getting it free and having to spend 300 on a new motor is nothing to complain about and, I wasn't really complaining except for the fact it's made in China and we are doing everything we can not to patronize them.

WILLD420

Premium Member
DB electrical on ebay used to carry some u.s. options if you asked. Not even sure there are any electrical repair shops in Reno anymore.

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I don't need the winch right away but I got the Warn Winch for free and rebuilt it so it has nothing to do with the Warn name on the front of my rig. Evidently Warn still makes their highest quality winches here and a lesser priced one in China. This Warn M15000 pound winch cost about $1800.00 new. If it were $800.00, I wouldn't buy a $300.00 motor for it. I guess getting it free and having to spend 300 on a new motor is nothing to complain about and, I wasn't really complaining except for the fact it's made in China and we are doing everything we can not to patronize them.
A free winch that needs $300 in parts isn’t a free winch. It’s trash.

willys dave

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
I called Brown-Milbery and they don't do that work. The nice Gentlemen recommended another place. That place quoted me almost 300 to fix or replace with a one year warranty. Warns Chinese motor is looking better and better but I hate to feed the hand that bites me.

renogeno

Premium Member
I called Brown-Milbery and they don't do that work. The nice Gentlemen recommended another place. That place quoted me almost 300 to fix or replace with a one year warranty. Warns Chinese motor is looking better and better but I hate to feed the hand that bites me.
Sorry, I just figured BM might be able to help as they used to rebuild spa and pool pump motors for me all the time back several years ago. Are they not doing that any more or just the wrong kind of motor for them? What place did they recommend?

willys dave

Sorry, I just figured BM might be able to help as they used to rebuild spa and pool pump motors for me all the time back several years ago. Are they not doing that any more or just the wrong kind of motor for them? What place did they recommend?
Please don't be sorry, your recommendation lead me to check out my options More thoroughly. I think I give up at this point and wait for the Warn motor from Summit, really can't beat the price or warranty. I guess you can't win every battle but we continue to try to buy USA made products as much as possible. BTW, I ordered the motor on 12/01/20, I hope someday I'll actually receive it. Not that I'm desperate for it, the Jeep is back in the shop for the 5th time with issues with the TH400.

willys dave

Maybe try Sparks Electric motor on Marietta way. They rebuilt my electric motor some time ago.
The thing is, I'm getting old and don't wheel as hard as I used to, it seems we like to explore more and more rather that trying to tackle big obstacles so, I'll hardly ever use this winch and a one year warrantee won't be long enough. The 7 year warranty from Warn is what I need.