well my jeep finallly broke!!!

izzy

well as i was heading home from lohontan this past saturday night, my jeep got stuck in four wheel drive. well i just decided to drive home really slow on the side of the road. so i was about 300ft from the road when my jeep died; when it died the gas pedal went completly stiff. i got out and checks all the wires, fuel lines ect.... to make sure nothing came unhooked. after about an hour of playing with it my jeep finally started. i was very happy so i jumped in and tried to put it in gear and nothing happened, so after about another 30 minutes of tinkering with it i finally got it to go into first gear. it took us 1 1/2 hours to make it home because it was in first gear and fourwheel drive.

when i got home i tried to put it in park and it just rolled forward, so i tried to put it into reverse and it also rolled forward. so the only gear i have in my jeep is first, and whenever it feels like it, it will go into park. so my plans are to buy another jeep, which is at my friends house and just swap all the parts between the two.

DBXJ

well the throttle stuff it could be a sensor but the tranny stuff mabey busted shift fork do u have the ax-15 or the aw4?

DBXJ

hmm it could be one of the kick down cables but if not that it might just be easyer to buy another mabey u could keep this one and swap somthin like a 4.0 into it

izzy

ya i was thinking about that, but i dont know f i could do that, i get very frustrated easily.

DBXJ

ah well its not to hard if your go with a manual it'd be easyer less wireingbut if u decide to swap it let me know

Zebaru

4.0 into the 86 and older rigs is no easy swap. They made significant changes to the header and firewall to fit the signifcantly longer straight six in there. If you plan to go 4.0, 87+ makes the most sense.

If you want to keep the older rig, I hear that the 3.4 from a newer camaro/firebird is a nice swap...

DBXJ

well u can also go with the 4.0 v-6 to but theres alot of work for it as for the engine swap to a 4.0 theres kits out there and its easyer than some other swaps we've done

Sauce

just buy another jeep, the V-6 is a turd and you can pick up another xj cheap. Save yourself the time, money and frustration and just get a newer, better, more reliable jeep. Good luck :D

DBXJ

no the 4.0 v-6 thats in the ford rangers and what not the POS v-6 they put in the early cherokees

kairo

Staff member
the explorer/ranger 4.0 v6 gets worse mileage, has less torque, and is harder to work on than the jeep I6

DBXJ

well the 4.0 ford makes about 222 hp from a 97 with about 210 ft torque and thats and there not hard to work on trust me it was the tight engine compartment the had them and i knwo the renagers make great pre runner vehicals to

the i6 are esaly to wortk on and there avalability is about a dime a dozen but the one that i would swap in would be one of the renix series

Sauce

kairo said:
the explorer/ranger 4.0 v6 gets worse mileage, has less torque, and is harder to work on than the jeep I6
Amen Nick, sorry DBXJ, on this one you are totally wrong. Drive a ranger and then drive an xj, no comparison :yup:

DBXJ

well thts just the one that my neghbor has ive workewd on it and havnt had a problem
as for gas milage and what not i would know and the specs i put up were from consumer report for the exporer v-6 and yes i would rather put a in line 6 in a jeep if i was gonna swap one

and if u read it i was the one who suggested the 4.0 I6 swap in the first place
and i also suggested the 4.0 v-6 over the 3.7L v-6 GM

Last edited:

Sauce

all of the swaps mentioned are crappy IMHO, if you are going to do a swap put in a vortech 4.3l V6. The I-6 is a great engine, but more trouble than it is worth.

DBXJ

well a I6 can susatin peak tq/hp easyer because og it bigger flywheel in which keep the engine going in between comprestion
and i have a 4.7 at my pops and a 5.0 that we could swap into it but i doubt he'd wanna pay me what i want for them

DBXJ

well another engine that would work in there would be a ford 300 I6 though i dont know the specs on them but they have both carb and FI modles to
and there pretty reliable engines

kairo

Staff member
DBXJ said:
well another engine that would work in there would be a ford 300 I6 though i dont know the specs on them but they have both carb and FI modles to
and there pretty reliable engines

Very reliable engine....like all straight 6's. However, they're dated technology. If i was gonna do one, it would be a libby diesel or a camero gas

DBXJ

well if it diesle your talkin about they made 1.8L i think it was turbo disle in cherokees
but ive only ever seen one as for the ford 300 they mabey dated which is 1964 based on the original 242 design form the 50's yea but after 79 they went through a major re design and and are some of the best work horse engines ive seen
but avalibility and how many ive seen that will keep running with little maintance id take one if mine blows up or just swap in a v-8