What are things i would need for a long backpacking trip

Rockindoc

A hungry 1200lbs bear is also no force to be wreakind with.
You been watching too many Alaska bear movies. There's nothing that big around here and NONE are carnivores. :thefinger:

We did the whole Tahoe Rim Trail and didn't see a single bear. Like LD says, tie your pack high up in a tree. And put all your food in one pack. No food or smelly stuff - colognes, perfumes, etc in the tents, those also attract bears. The way people get hurt is being between the bear and what it's after.

Freeze dried food is where it's at for long trips, it's lightweight.

L.D.

trust me, yogi an booboo are not interested in you. but keep in mind they are interested in your scented cleanex. I still have the fanny pack to show you. one of them even tried chewin on a can of sterno left down. 7 of us sleepn on the ground in a line, yogi an booboo walkin past our heads (within arms reach) every 15 minuets. not once did they stop to have a look at us. Little Yosemite Valley is a hot spot.

L.D.

on a side note, we did find Bacardi 151 to be a most exalant fire starter after a good rain.

Ranger

You been watching too many Alaska bear movies. There's nothing that big around here and NONE are carnivores. :thefinger:
Bear are omnivores and although they may mind their own business around here, you had better respect the fact they have canines for a reason... your perspective changes when you get charged by one.

Rockindoc

Bear are omnivores and although they may mind their own business around here, you had better respect the fact they have canines for a reason... your perspective changes when you get charged by one.
Stay away from the cubs and you won't get charged by the mama bear. Again, they are not interested in us, they want our food and smelly stuff. Most all the bears are not out where we backpack, camp, etc. They are in Tahoe digging in dumpsters and raiding pet food bowls. :thumbsup:

Rockindoc

Ummmmmm.....I think Yosemite's elevation is just a wee bit higher than 5,000ft. Oh yeah, the passes from this side are closed usually about the first snowfall. That usually happens about now. Hence the suggestion to wait until the snow it melted. :thumbsup:

alan71

Wow! Lots of good info here.. I did like the freeze dried food reminder. As far as experience, I have hiked and hunted the northern border of Montana, Idaho and Washington. Bears do not look at us as a easy food source, unless we make it so, with sloppy hiking and camping techniques. You best defense is to be aware of your surroundings, keep everything clean, never use scented anything on your body especially perfumes /aftershave and NEVER, NEVER run! Other than that, plan your meals, your route, check your gear thoroughly and have a good time. Personally I take extra socks to keep my feet dry to prevent blisters.

Bitosin

You probably should carry a small firearm...one that will make a lot of noise (for scare factor), not to kill with. Also, since going with your GF, did anyone mention condoms ????