what axel do i have?

I have a 88 xj. I think the normal axel is a 30 or 35 dana..im talking in the rear of my jeep. Now i understand that some rearends were 44s, but it is the same 10 bolt pattern on both. so how di i tell if i have a dana 44 in the rear??
Now ive allways thought i had the normal weak 35(ithink) or 30 but ive also believed that those axels would snap under the pressure of 35 inch tires (not the front) and wheeling in hard conditions. now i know my jeep is really light but I also havent been easy on it, ive went thought some pretty narly stuff. with open diffs and the axels are still running strong. So's i was wondering if mabye there was a chance i had a 44.. well let me know if you can help.
thanks
Christopher Corpus

DBXJ

well one ive seen your axle and its the same as mine as i understand they didnt start putting chryslers under ther till 90

DBXJ

and this is the 8.25

axle_825.jpg

Its kinda looks like the 8.25 in the photo but ive seen them before and i really dont think its what i have. when the precipitation decides to stop i think i will go look to see it it looks long. does the 44 have a roundish housing because that is what i have identified so far on my axel?

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
deadandcompany said:
If the rear diff cover is kind of round ish it is the Dana 35. Could also be the Chrylser 8 1/2.

as Aaron said, if it's round then it's Dana 35 (btw, Dana 30 is a front axle)

Dana 35:
cover_dana35c.jpg

Dana 44:
cover_dana44.jpg

the reason why i am so curious about this is because I am thinking of doing a test thread..I want to weld the spider gears in the axel and i want to see how far i can take this axel before it breaks. as of now some of the big mucky muks of wheeling say that my axel should be dead. Sos I want to kinda break this axel OR not break it with the spiders welded.. a few more hours of contemplating and i should have a go or no go in the test.

DBXJ

well actually the d35 is alot strong than most ppl think but the tend to break after there locked

and this is a 44
dana44.jpg

Denis said:
as Aaron said, if it's round then it's Dana 35 (btw, Dana 30 is a front axle)

Dana 35:
cover_dana35c.jpg

Dana 44:
cover_dana44.jpg

well that confirms it. the sad truth is i have a 35. thanks for the help guys. now i just have to see if i have the golf balls to still test it..

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
DBXJ said:
no u dont have a d35 c they were put in the tjs i think it was

all Dana 35 rear ends ever put into any Jeep were Dana 35c. c stands for custom.