what is an expedition to you?

bird

mine is as simple as going to the store on back roads to finding places on maps in other states to try and find for a few days. just wondering what others on here do.

floor ya

i used to hunt alot by myself. some time close to home and other times hundreds of miles away.always made it home safe.had some great times and some close calls, but all were expeditions. in my mind an expedition is "SELF RELIANT OVER LAND TRAVEL" if all you have to count on is your own skills and equip. to not only get you "there" but get you home again. then i think thats exploring.

reno2507

i used to hunt alot by myself. some time close to home and other times hundreds of miles away.always made it home safe.had some great times and some close calls, but all were expeditions. in my mind an expedition is "SELF RELIANT OVER LAND TRAVEL" if all you have to count on is your own skills and equip. to not only get you "there" but get you home again. then i think thats exploring.

Big ditto on this definition...Maybe we need to start a "hunting party?" hahaha!

thedevl

An Expedition is a big ugly Ford Product!!!

Seriously though, I think Mike said it all as I could not think of a better answer than the one he gave.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I think that the term "expedition" gets thrown around too much. To me what you are describing is exploring or camping. I like to do those things, but they don't make an expedition to me. In my mind an expedition requires months of planning, lots of risks, hundreds (if not thousands) of miles, and dodgy border crossings.

Bitosin

I think that the term "expedition" gets thrown around too much. To me what you are describing is exploring or camping. I like to do those things, but they don't make an expedition to me. In my mind an expedition requires months of planning, lots of risks, hundreds (if not thousands) of miles, and dodgy border crossings.

WOW ! Remind me not to go on an "expedition" with you.

An expedition is merely a trip, a journey, a quest, often into the unknown. Often into the realm beyond your normal travels.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member

An expedition is merely a trip, a journey, a quest, often into the unknown. Often into the realm beyond your normal travels.

According to Meriam-Webter

Expedition - a journey or excursion undertaken for a specific purpose.

it has to have a reason, otherwise it's just a trip.

Inc

Staff member

As long as you are enjoying what you are doing (exploring, traveling, wheeling, mudding or whatever you want to brand it) who cares what anyone else calls it?

sierrahsky

From Expedition Portal:

Jonathan Hanson (Executive Editor, Overland Journal. Elected Fellow,*[LINK=#mce_temp_url%23]Explorers Club[/LINK]) has contributed addition criteria. An expedition should comprise one of the following, two or more preferred.

1. A journey with a higher purpose—undertaken, for example, to increase scientific knowledge, promote conservation, or render humanitarian aid.

2. A journey that includes a significant risk factor, whether due to remoteness, environmental factors, or terrorist/military/criminal activity, for example.

3. A journey of exploration to an unknown or little-known area. Essentially a higher purpose as in number one.

4. A journey by difficult means—bicycling rather than driving; sea kayaking rather than sailing, for example. Not to be confused with stunts, although there may be gray area in many cases. Using a particular means of transportation simply*because*it's more difficult taints the effort. The choice of more primitive transport needs to enhance the journey in some way. Traveling by bicycle, for example, is quieter and uses far less fossil fuel. Recreating a historical journey with a reproduction of the original transport would be honorable, certainly, as Pete Goss just did with a replica 1850s sailboat.

Styx

From Expedition Portal:

Jonathan Hanson (Executive Editor, Overland Journal. Elected Fellow,*[LINK=#mce_temp_url%23]Explorers Club[/LINK]) has contributed addition criteria. An expedition should comprise one of the following, two or more preferred.

[…]

2. A journey that includes a significant risk factor, whether due to remoteness, environmental factors, or terrorist/military/criminal activity, for example.

[…]

Wow. I had no idea driving to the Bay area was an expedition.
"We come in peace to study your backward culture. Don't be alarmed at our boom- boom sticks, they are used to protect ourselves and kill food."

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

Toyota Guy

For me an Expedition has to have these things:

A predetermined destination

Some time during the trip I have to travel threw somewhere I have never been before

Most important be in the middle of nowhere so rural that if something happens and my gear can't get me out I may die before people find me. It makes it just that much more exciting.

floor ya

Some time during the trip I have to travel threw somewhere I have never been before

Most important be in the middle of nowhere so rural that if something happens and my gear can't get me out I may die before people find me. It makes it just that much more exciting.

if you die because your gear cant get you out. then your doing it wrong. just sayin.

sierrahsky

Most expeditions go on the basis of not having a predetermined destination and rather just have a predetermined reason and goal with the hope of finding the destination. I believe its more about the journey and less about the destination that really defines an expedition. For someone of average skill an expedition could be a simple Trip to another person, regardless of where it is going. But the major part is that if your going to do something that will most likely get you killed because of lack of gear, knowledge, or planning, then your not really on an expedition your more on a suicide mission or in an indiana jones movie.

if you die because your gear cant get you out. then your doing it wrong. just sayin.

x200000

One thing you will find if you do any training for over-landing or read about almost any REAL expedition is that the planning, training, team, and gear are a go no go status. IF one thing fails you fail. Books like Mad Bad and Dangerous really explain this part of the process in detail and you can see how just the smallest little hiccup causes major ripples in the plans.

Styx

A predetermined destination [...]

Most important aspect of a expedition in my estimation, based on common historical usage. I would add, however, that a search for something or determining a previously unknown location e.g. Lewis & Clark would fit the definition.

An additional requirement I think would be an uncommon route or means of travel. It's an expedition to drive from Mexico to Canada on dirt roads...it's a trip to take I-5.

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.