What size/type of tires would you recommend for a stock 2001 4runner?

GO4X4IT

Yea, its got a Cummins
Staff member
given rim size, you should be able to clear some 31x10.5-15's on there... or a 265/70-16

seal13il

Premium Member
I dont think he can do 15" with clearing the discs....... I would go 31" KM2 or a small lift and 33"

Dirty Harry

Staff member
You can fit a 265/75R16 with the factory rims and suspension. I don't know what kind of driving you do but I would recommend the BFGoodrich All-Terrain, Mickey Thompson ATZ, and General Grabber AT2 as good all around tires.

jakeyj

hey if u need to get a good sizing on tires i have 265's on my yota that u can try on the 4runner

GO4X4IT

Yea, its got a Cummins
Staff member
You can fit a 265/75R16 with the factory rims and suspension. I don't know what kind of driving you do but I would recommend the BFGoodrich All-Terrain, Mickey Thompson ATZ, and General Grabber AT2 as good all around tires.

Yuck on the BFG! HATE THEM!

Wild Country XTX Sport is a good one that Les Schwab Offers. It comes with a 50k m/w plus all the warranty stuff. Its made by cooper.

Goodyear Duratrac was my other choice for my jeep, but went with the Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction.

ZIPGRAVER

MY BFG T/As pick up every damn thing on the road or trail and get holes punched in them. They look like a reverse porcupine on the inside. I like the Kelly Safari TSR. They're supposed to be really excellent tires for both on/off road and inexpensive.

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Staff member

Even if you don't consider the fact that BFG does more for trail access than all other tire manufacturers combined, even if you don't consider that their Outstanding Trails program, or support of Del Albright, or that they ALWAYS give away tires at Cal4Wheel raffles, even if you don't consider all of the support that BFG provides to desert and rock racing, even then I still think that they make an excellent tire that is the benchmark that other all-terrains are compared to.

GO4X4IT

Yea, its got a Cummins
Staff member
Even if you don't consider the fact that BFG does more for trail access than all other tire manufacturers combined, even if you don't consider that their Outstanding Trails program, or support of Del Albright, or that they ALWAYS give away tires at Cal4Wheel raffles, even if you don't consider all of the support that BFG provides to desert and rock racing, even then I still think that they make an excellent tire that is the benchmark that other all-terrains are compared to.

Offended much by what I said :rolleyes:

Still hate them.. THE A/T .. not all of BFG

jdhouk

Wild Country XTX Sport is a good one that Les Schwab Offers. It comes with a 50k m/w plus all the warranty stuff. Its made by cooper.

Goodyear Duratrac was my other choice for my jeep, but went with the Dunlop Rover Maxx Traction.

Wrong on the XTX brother its actually make by TBC...AKA kelly(goodyear), its a great tire and if you want any more info giv me a call at the shop 851-2121

WILLD420

Premium Member
My problem with the BFG a/t's are the round treadbase. They always wear out in the center first for me, even when under-inflated. I've rarely gotten the mileage expected, even when used on a trailer application.

They are a good tire, but I think there are better ones out there right now. Depends what you want to do with the rig. If it's a bone stocker and you just need a good tire, General makes some decent stuff, Cooper makes some good stuff, and Hankook has some pretty good tires.

My problem with Les Schwab is their price on things. I cannot justify adding $50/tire over internet pricing just for decent customer service.

97kurt

Nitto Terragrapplers. I've been impressed with mine and I am on my second set. First set was a 265/75r16 (~32" tire) , currently I am on 285/75r16 (~33" tire). Zero complaints. The have nearly identical tread pattern as the Toyo AT.

Inc

Staff member
I ran BFGs and a number of rigs and they were fantastic. Never a single issue. Check out the goodyear duratracs for another great AT. Those 2 are probably the best ATs available IMO.

wrenchjunkie

Just curious, are the Liberators sorta egg shaped now? I've had 3 rigs that had those on them and all of them had at least 1 tire that shook the whole truck and had readily visable eccentricity. One split the tread diagonally while on the spare tire carrier with 35 psi in it.

Spence621

Not that I can see, but I don't know how old the tires are since I bought the truck with them on it. I do notice an up and down motion when I go a certain speed though.