where is this trail 2

4xyota

well I was reading what everybody wrote, and from the sound of it we might have a boxing match in the parking lot or something the next time we all get together. Well the reason I posted back on this is because you guy's closed the thread and I PMed the guy today so I will let you know when he pm's me back. I told him that it sounded like a couple cali. wheelers know about a trail that not even nev. wheelers seem to know about and that people on a board that I was looking at where starting to get in fights over the whole deal and I just want to go ckeck out the trail. :D

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I've PM'ed him couple days ago and haven't heard back. Who cares where that trail is anyways? Is it going to change your life forever if you know where it is? Nevada is full of rocks, big and small. I can show you many canyons that will provide you hours and days and months of wheeling pleasure. :lolrun:

Samco Fab

Dennis, thats what the "hardcore" guys are asking for... new canyons and trails that are challenging for them. In the begining, Hunter lake and Bronco canyon are challenging and fun, but as a person gets a more and more set up vehicle and more driving skills they have to look for harder lines to get the thrill. Not everyone goes wheeling to enjoy nature and breathe fresh air, some people want adventure and excitment. Nothing is like the first time you go through the Rubicon, its like an adventue,but eventually that feeling wears off and the Rubicon gets easy, and you look for more.
It seems like a few people dont understand why some people want to wheel insanely difficult places other than Moon Rocks in purpose built vehicles that arent daily drivers, but thats where half of you all will be in 5 years. Most people that wheel dont stick with 33" and a limited slip for the rest of thier lives.

MR.ROCKAPE

I know this board is geared "less hardcore" or "family oriented" but some of us more extreme guys need that adrenialine(probably wrong spelling)rush of scaring yourself and occasional breakage.Thats what its all about for us.If your rig will go somewhere extreme and your buddys wont,it makes him go home and improve it so he can show you up next time.Thats how this all grows.I would like to run this mystery trail but if I dont too bad.I will find something to wheel on.Now, my point is this board is becoming the "us vs them"(I know I may have something to do with it)But the bottom line is "hardcore" guys need the hardcore trails and Mall wheelers need the Mall :eek: I am kidding.I meant some wheelers dont want to bash in the Daily driver in search of the next MAD LINE.

rusty_tlc

Sam and rockape are right, some of the people here will be building a trailer queen in the next five years. Or are starting now ;) . Sure would be nice to have folks like Sam and rockape around to lend a hand or answer a question.

And I'm sure they enjoy watching people gain skill and learn. It's also nice to have a friendly place to shoot the bull with other people who share your interest at whatever level.

I think this should be a place for everybody to enjoy.

EricsXJ

I don't have a problem with different types of wheelers posting here. Sure some rigs are purpose built according to what the driver wants. I seem to remember that Throttle Boy saying on the Bronco Canyon run that his rig really isn't set up to do that much "trail". Does that make one rig better than another overall? Not at all. I think its clear that any of the modified XJ's on this board are a much more capable expedition type vehicle built to handle many differnt types of terrain, including rocks than any buggie is. But when you talk about some sections of MoonRocks, Little Sluice, etc... its clear that the purpose built rockcrawler is more capable there.

So do bigger tires make one 'hardcore'?

I see some of these guys doing Bronco Canyon on 31's - two of them made it through the last section last Saturday. I would never have tried that when I was on 31's! It takes skill to do that, and your rig gets a lot of rock rash, but there was no breakage. Someone who just wants to beat on it, thinking he can get through just by using more skinny peddle won't make it through half of that canyon before something breaks. Is he 'hardcore'? Or is the guy who makes it through on 31's but doesn't break more 'hardcore'? Or are you not 'hardcore' until you have at least 40's?

Last edited:

MR.ROCKAPE

I think the word "hardcore" is referring to the driver and what they wheel on.Not what they wheel.I would be happy to lead a trip through the moon rocks with my jeep on 33s for you smaller tired hardcore drivers.Just let me know when???As far as tire size goes I dont think you are fully dubbed hardcore until you got 44inch tires and rockwells(Im just trying to keep up)

xjmoser

My XJ is purpose built.

Im building it for me and my son do go have fun. Something for just me and him. I dont have a problem with buggys. I love to watch them in action.

What made me mad is some guy talkin shit about us pathetic mall crawlers not knowing were a trail is that our vehicles are not built for.

If we knew were it was we would have posted it.

Samco Fab

I would also look at "hardcore" as the terrain or trail, like what this thread began with. Jackhammer and sledgehammer and others in thier vicinity are refered to as "Hardcore Heaven". Not many veteran rockcrawlers would ever refer to that place as easy, no matter what rig you have.
Bronco canyon on 31s on a locked up Samurai would probably be easy as well, so tires arent the answer, but in a Cherokee with 31s definitely some skill and experience :yup: but not "hardcore".
Also, the only thing given up in a purpose built rig is air conditioning , storage and a windshield, not always easy to give up :yup: but a purpose built rig will always be more off road capable (and can have as good or better ride quality)but you might not be capable of camping for very long comfortably unless you go with a Cherokee or Toyota. Personally I am building in between, enough storage for a night or two of camping and I eventually want to run the Hammers. Its all about compromise.

spoon

xjmoser said:
My XJ is purpose built.

Im building it for me and my son do go have fun. Something for just me and him. I dont have a problem with buggys. I love to watch them in action.

What made me mad is some guy talkin shit about us pathetic mall crawlers not knowing were a trail is that our vehicles are not built for.

If we knew were it was we would have posted it.
The trail information on this board is pathetic. If that statement hurt your feelings too bad. If this board has such great knowledge of local trails then post up your knowledge and thus improve this site. I made that statement in hope of getting feedback from the "hardcore" guys who would be interested in finding this trail. Apparently many guys here weren't interested in that trail and chose to get offended by my "pathetic" comment. If this site is all about picnic and wildflower runs just say so. Then I won't be bothering you guys with stupid rockcrawling threads. If you are interested in local rockcrawling trails or obstacles lets start posting up detailed information that will be of help to a guy who is wanting to run a particular trail. And if my "talkin' shit" hurts your feelings or makes you mad, too bad. Talkin' shit is what I do, just ask anybody that wheels with me. :D As far as being "hardcore", I agree with Samco and Rockape. Its all about your driving not what your driving in.

RARECJ8

Uh Oh!

jeeze louise, fellers this hobby is all for fun, not fights...

This reminds me of the Jeepers Lament

so u get this 4x4, its kinda stock and u go wheeling. ya make it so far and thats it. so u go get some bolt on and fab'd parts and go back to that trail. now u get a bit further up the trail, no need to turn back, but u don't get all the way thru, or u get hung up on something. ur buddy gets further thru than u...

so u go get some bigger meats and maybe lower gears and go back out. this time u get further along the trail, but something holds u back...some BFR or breakage. Ur buddues make it thru-- they have lockers.

so u get lockers and u all get thru some difficult trail. Then there is a bigger, more challenging, trechnical trail and-- well ya need bigger meats. more aromr protection. deeper gears-- some tubes, whatever... Then u go back out and this time on the trail u get further than ever before.

So now the rig is 'go anywhere', but u have no where to go... all the trails now seem so easy, so 'that was nothing' ... now what to do? searching for that next new challenge.

it seems with any pursuit, hobby, passion or whatever, it is possible to 'top out' whether its the rig or driver. building heeps is as much fun as making them perform. anybody w/ $$$ can order up a turn key scorpion spider and be the king of the rocks. or u can build it-- either way, there seems to be an end wall, where we run out of trail-- actually and figuratively.

Remember, we gotta Tread Lightly and refrain from making new trails, blazing new courses. Thats not cool and doing so will get what few legal trails we have further restricted.

(BTW, Joe's 4x4 Ranch is having its blow out july 9/10 and tread lightly don't count. Come up and try Gas Gulch-- only 3 have made it---many try, hahha)

So what do we do now? Our rigs go anywhere we point them--everything bullet proof. Most highs wear off and we need to top the last or at least maintain that high. Is this a top out...or a bottom out?

Man, i dream for a purpose built buggy. then i'd like a 4 wheeler i can pack w/ camping gear, the old lady and zip down to death valley (or baja!) at 70mph-- camp, wheel, see all the stuff... and zip back home in one piece. the we could trailer our junk to a trail head, go play and have to returen the same way, due to the haul ruig. Even if the hard core rig is green stickered or street legal, its still a hassle. Finding that perfect balance is up to the builders goals. one or all the above? Then a rig for comfort is nice too. Do u want an all purpose rig or a oversized 4x4 'quad?' I built the Minnow to handle a little of all those-- but its not excluded or limited from either.

so bottom line is-- do what u like, enjoy and don't judge others for their over kill built rigs and leave alone the puny up and comer whelers-- they'll be there-- topped out-- soon enough-- we all end up there eventually.

then u get another, new to you bone stock 4x4 and start over...

and the cycle repeats.

enjoy!

I'm off my soapbox :yup:
mb

xjmoser

spoon said:
The trail information on this board is pathetic. If that statement hurt your feelings too bad. If this board has such great knowledge of local trails then post up your knowledge and thus improve this site. I made that statement in hope of getting feedback from the "hardcore" guys who would be interested in finding this trail. Apparently many guys here weren't interested in that trail and chose to get offended by my "pathetic" comment. If this site is all about picnic and wildflower runs just say so. Then I won't be bothering you guys with stupid rockcrawling threads. If you are interested in local rockcrawling trails or obstacles lets start posting up detailed information that will be of help to a guy who is wanting to run a particular trail. And if my "talkin' shit" hurts your feelings or makes you mad, too bad. Talkin' shit is what I do, just ask anybody that wheels with me. :D As far as being "hardcore", I agree with Samco and Rockape. Its all about your driving not what your driving in.

Thats what I expected.:lolrun:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
samco fab said:
Dennis, thats what the "hardcore" guys are asking for... new canyons and trails that are challenging for them. In the begining, Hunter lake and Bronco canyon are challenging and fun, but as a person gets a more and more set up vehicle and more driving skills they have to look for harder lines to get the thrill. Not everyone goes wheeling to enjoy nature and breathe fresh air, some people want adventure and excitment. Nothing is like the first time you go through the Rubicon, its like an adventue,but eventually that feeling wears off and the Rubicon gets easy, and you look for more.
It seems like a few people dont understand why some people want to wheel insanely difficult places other than Moon Rocks in purpose built vehicles that arent daily drivers, but thats where half of you all will be in 5 years. Most people that wheel dont stick with 33" and a limited slip for the rest of thier lives.

My point was that if we never know where that little trail/obstacle is, who cares? Let those Cal boys think they are special, we'll go find something else, Nevada is big. Plenty of canyons, mild to wild.

Sauce

maybe you could open a "special" hardcore only section Denis and only allow the hardcore guys in :lolrun:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
spoon said:
Maybe people don't post up detailed information about all the local trails so that every jackass with a buggy doesn't show up and leave beer cans and trash and winch rocks into the middle of the trail to make it a "challenge" for their buggy. Just like we have seen happen on the Rubicon, Steve's Loop, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dirty Harry said:
Maybe people don't post up detailed information about all the local trails so that every jackass with a buggy doesn't show up and leave beer cans and trash and winch rocks into the middle of the trail to make it a "challenge" for their buggy. Just like we have seen happen on the Rubicon, Steve's Loop, and others.
Bingo!!!!

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
spoon said:

BTW, you are as responsible for trail info on this board as anyone else. We are not a club, just a bunch of local wheelers. I do not care what rig you drive or what you use it for, whether you trailer it everywhere or it's your daily driver, we are here to help each other out and share information, not argue endlessly (that's what Pirate board is for :D).

Harry, that's a good point about trail info. Look at Moonrocks, there's people from CA there every weekend, there's also a lot of trash on the ground. I'm not saying that it was a pristine area, but the more people know about it, the more chances that some yahoo will come, roll his rig, spill oil and empty beer cans...

KYOTA

spoon said:

Not stirring the pot here but I agree with spoon, I like the more difficult runs and I think he was just asking if anyone recognized where it was. So what if you dont want to hit it, if you know where it is cant the info be shared with the guys that do want too? And I think (I would hope) that we are responsible enough to know to follow the pack it in pack it out montra. I know if I was local I'd be looking for places like that to wheel all the time. No need to get bent because there are more capble rigs here too, I like this board cause its a nice break from Pirate and the others and seems like everyone is pretty cool.

xjmoser

KYOTA said:
Not stirring the pot here but I agree with spoon, I like the more difficult runs and I think he was just asking if anyone recognized where it was. So what if you dont want to hit it, if you know where it is cant the info be shared with the guys that do want too? And I think (I would hope) that we are responsible enough to know to follow the pack it in pack it out montra. I know if I was local I'd be looking for places like that to wheel all the time. No need to get bent because there are more capble rigs here too, I like this board cause its a nice break from Pirate and the others and seems like everyone is pretty cool.

spoon asked if anyone recognized the trail and apperently no one does so were pathetic. If we knew the info it would have been posted for him to go challenge himself. Were not keeping it a secret because we dont want to run the trail.