Which ATV?

dye_dan

OK, suppose you were gonna buy a pair of atv's (for you and wifey), what would you get? Used for cruising around hills and four-wheeling a lot, but also used for hunting (so has to have racks, 4x4, etc)

I am really liking the looks of the Arctic Cat 650 with the independent suspension front/rear. But, I thought I'd put this question out there to get others opinions. Any suggestions? Anyone actually tried out the different brands and likes one more than the other, or just really likes the one they own?

Scrub

Personally i Really like the Polaris ATV's for Utility Quads, and here would be my choice if i was to buy one, im not sure on the prices but i rode a friends 600 and it was an awesome setup i would take the 700 just cause i like the more power of it, there is also an 800 option

sprtmn700efi_queen_L.jpg

now if you were looking for sports quads my vote would go to the yamaha raptor 660 no doubt but i dont think you are looking for sports quads.

-Matt-

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
dye_dan said:
OK, suppose you were gonna buy a pair of atv's (for you and wifey), what would you get? Used for cruising around hills and four-wheeling a lot, but also used for hunting (so has to have racks, 4x4, etc)

I am really liking the looks of the Arctic Cat 650 with the independent suspension front/rear. But, I thought I'd put this question out there to get others opinions. Any suggestions? Anyone actually tried out the different brands and likes one more than the other, or just really likes the one they own?

Arctic Cat 650 was an ATV of the year, for what it's worth.
http://www.atvillustrated.com/feature_articles/04_4x4_Year/article.html
Looks nice.

More reviews here: http://www.atvillustrated.com/atv_reviews.html

I'd like to get a 2wd ATV one day.

dye_dan

The AC's used to have the best ground clearance, rack capacity, and gas capacity, and some others too that would be important to me, but that was the 04 models. I rode an '03 500 some and it was awesome, but that's the limits of my experience with them pretty much.

deadandcompany

I have a 00 Yamaha Kodiak 400, it has 2wd or 4wd option, and high or low range option, auto trans, racks front and rear. Nice and light weight, my brother has a Polaris Sportsman 500. Its heavy as shit. It is important to have it on the lighter end, when it get stuck you want to be able to free it by yourself. A winch wont always work.

The 400 has plenty of power, my girlfriend and I always ride double on it with no problems. It has a fully locked solid rear axle, and IFS in front. 25" ITPs on steel wheels. And I only paid $3800 for it. Those Artic Cats fully loaded go for $8000 or so.

I have taken it every where, all over Peavine including Bud Canyon & Lil Zuk. Up to Hunterlake, out around Moonrocks. Its a perfect size in my opnion. I will never buy anything bigger/heavier. I ride it pretty hard, I like to scout out new canyons on Peavine, test run them in the quad. Then bring out the old Jeep (which is gone now)to run it.

When you buy one, give me a pm. I'll take you up Sick Canyon, it is a quad only trail. Big rocks, deep ruts, and water!!

fj4play

whitch atv to buy

first find how much money you want to spend
then shop
the rear irs cost more money but are more forgiving
to the not so experanced rider
me and my family have three 4x4 atv none are irs
me my wife son 10 daughter 15 ride them with no problem
i have a friend that is a sales person at bvh let me know
hen you want to shop

4xyota

ya me and my dad have polaris quad's and they go anywhere that you could take a rig and farther so I have to say Polaris is the way to go :D

88WranglerMan

I would most defiantely, (yes I know its not a quad,) go with the Yamaha Rhino, My parents bought one and and my Dad and I take that thing out all the time, and we have gotten it into some nasty situations and it just walked right out like it was nothing. It has a 660, and you can put it into 2wd, 4wdH, 4wdL, and 4wd and lock the diffs in. This thing is awesome!!!! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/12/sxs/36/318/0/yamaha_rhino_660_auto_4x4.aspx