White letters in or out?

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Do you guys have the white letters mounted in or out on your vehicles? I ask because I had my girlfriend go get new tires for my Land Cruiser from Aaron (Deadandcompany) at Big O and when I show up they are whitewalls out! Aaron asked her what she wanted and she thinks that it looks "sporty" this way. The funny thing is, that is the first thing that my father and all of my wheeling buddies commented on. "Why did you get the white letters to the outside?"

So is my girlfriend right that it looks good or should Aaron have know to mount them up blackwalls out from the start? Those are the only two choices the way I see it. :no:

rusty_tlc

Balck walls out on my Black and Green themed FJ40,
white walls out on the Big White Truck. Usually I go for black out but I think the white looks good on the truck with the smoked windows and black flares. They do get scuffed fast if you take the rig off road.

4X4BABE

rusty_tlc said:
Balck walls out on my Black and Green themed FJ40,
white walls out on the Big White Truck. Usually I go for black out but I think the white looks good on the truck with the smoked windows and black flares. They do get scuffed fast if you take the rig off road.
i think the white walls look a bit more "cleaner" and sporty as ur gf said...but the black walls are definately more rugged lookin..i prefer black...NO PUN INTENDED!

Dirty Harry

Staff member
4x4babe said:
i think the white walls look a bit more "cleaner" and sporty as ur gf said.

Maybe it is a female thing. I cannot recall EVER putting whitewalls out on any vehicle I have ever owned. Oh well, she drives the Cruiser more than I do anyway. :eek:

Samco Fab

Funny, I noticed that too, I would go black out, looks better with aluminum wheels. The girlfriends opinion overides anything anyway, its cool she has an opinion about it at all, some girls just dont care unless its rollin on 24's:D

4X4BABE

samco fab said:
Funny, I noticed that too, I would go black out, looks better with aluminum wheels. The girlfriends opinion overides anything anyway, its cool she has an opinion about it at all, some girls just dont care unless its rollin on 24's:D
well i mean im just sayin how white looks...but i did mention i prefer the black out

Dirty Harry

Staff member
samco fab said:
Funny, I noticed that too.

That would have been awesome if you commented to her about it (like my father did). :D She is totally down with wheeling though and I am happy about that. She keeps giving me a hard time about getting the pickup running because she wants to drive it "so you can take photos". :eek: When we went out to Moab she road up Rocker Knocker and Bump Dump on Pritchett without even looking concerned so I know that she is a trooper.

I still have to give her a hard time about the "whitewalls" though. :no:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
i don't know if it's true for MTRs, by white-letter sidewalls on my old BFG MTs were wearing worse than the black-letter sidewalls. There's actially a whole layer of white rubber, not just where the letters are, and it seemed softer and chunked easier than black-wall sides. (i ran those tires both ways through Rubicon and white walls looked worse)

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I know what you are talking about Denis, and I don't think that it is true for the MT/Rs. The white lettering is just outlined, not all white like the BFGs have. I've seen some BFGs so worn that instead of white letters they actually had whitewalls all the way around! :eek: