Why is forum traffic down?

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
In your opinion, what are the main reasons for the reduced participation of people on our forum? Is it the older software? Features? Social media integration? Lack of mobile support? Or perhaps it's not technology related at all?

DirtyChemist

Facebook. It's much easier for people to have one app for their everything. Apparently now facebook has started special groups for everything which to me (not on face book anymore) sounds like forums, and you can still have your facebook account. Have a photo from a build you're doing? Upload it to the group and let everyone see it. Totally sucks for following a build thread, or trying to figure out what is going on for a trail run planned, and it's easier to show off what you're doing. No way I can find out what is going on for group runs unless I start back into face book, find whatever group I need to join, then check it daily. I'm sure if you posed a link to a group run like what Bill previously put on weekly the comments would be filled with questions or people saying they're in and minimal information in the thread itself. After that people would post photos from their phone to facebook.

This website didn't ever seem to be too bad for mobile use. I really wish the facebook groups would die so people would come back here. I remember 8 years ago when runs were planned, and information was shared then the 25 post minimum for sales was added. Now this place feels dead and I'm sure everyone is friends on facebook/real life and making their own runs with old forum members. At least NAXJA seems to be kicking it occasionally.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Facebook. It's much easier for people to have one app for their everything. Apparently now facebook has started special groups for everything which to me (not on face book anymore) sounds like forums, and you can still have your facebook account. Have a photo from a build you're doing? Upload it to the group and let everyone see it. Totally sucks for following a build thread, or trying to figure out what is going on for a trail run planned, and it's easier to show off what you're doing. No way I can find out what is going on for group runs unless I start back into face book, find whatever group I need to join, then check it daily. I'm sure if you posed a link to a group run like what Bill previously put on weekly the comments would be filled with questions or people saying they're in and minimal information in the thread itself. After that people would post photos from their phone to facebook.

This website didn't ever seem to be too bad for mobile use. I really wish the facebook groups would die so people would come back here. I remember 8 years ago when runs were planned, and information was shared then the 25 post minimum for sales was added. Now this place feels dead and I'm sure everyone is friends on facebook/real life and making their own runs with old forum members. At least NAXJA seems to be kicking it occasionally.
Facebook seems to be the most common answer I hear whenever this question is brought up, followed up by statements on how they hate facebook and that they own data, and it's hard to search, etc., yet they chose facebook over the forum still. So, the question is, would better technology (unlimited attachments, no member fees, etc.) here help people, or would it be just a waste of money?

ZJchukar

Facebook seems to be the most common answer I hear whenever this question is brought up, followed up by statements on how they hate facebook and that they own data, and it's hard to search, etc., yet they chose facebook over the forum still. So, the question is, would better technology (unlimited attachments, no member fees, etc.) here help people, or would it be just a waste of money?
I won't use FB so it kills me to see that the forum isn't what it was. As for the technology, I can't comment as I don't have an issue with the features that we already have. Honestly, I think the biggest issue is that you can't compete with the integration with an existing platform. People already use FB so why go on here?

DirtyChemist

I think unlimited attachments would help. Nothing like pulling up a post about swapping fans on a 4.0L engine to see blurry images with no links, and sad face thumbs down emojis.
The problem is just getting the traffic here. As much as people say they hate facebook it's a big uphill battle to beat the giant and people are reluctant to change. Since I'm not on facebook anymore I can't even help by posting links to anything going on. I just got tired of facebook and having to join a bunch of groups doesn't sound appealing. I'm really glad you keep the forum going. I just think it's easier to search facebook for "reno off road" and find something. Facebook just became so important for people to be able to easily keep track of things that EVERYONE needed a facebook. Elected officials, school districts, news channels. I'm out of the loop on so many things for NOT being on facebook or twitter to the point I'm happy I'm left out.

People will have to want to change to make a difference. I think most people doing builds would rather show off to EVERYONE they know they built something, than the entire internet. If I get some free time I'll see about those Sunday Runs again. They seemed to gather interest. It might help if there was more going on here to post to face book as a "hey check out the website" kind of attractant.

Photos would help, I hate FB and don't use it except for the marketplace section. I don't post any photos or give them any personal info. I prefer the forums and tell new people I meet about Reno4x4. Maybe a calendar of events would drive some more traffic, banners at the race track, sign on the board at summit racing, 4WD parts.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Well, attachments for everyone. Disk space is certainly not a problem at this point.

1735qm.jpg

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I cannot attach photos. Much easier on FB
You can attach HEIC and WebP files, they just don't show up as inline images by default. If you turned off "high efficiency" setting in camera on your iPhone, then new images would upload and display properly. Or if you use Tapatalk app to upload photos, then it would do the conversion to a standard format and images will display fine.

jfrey123

I stopped surfing forums as much when I stopped working (my three jobs prior didn’t care about Internet use). I’m way busier now as a stay at home dad than I was while working, and also fell away to the FB machine.

Over the past year I’ve slowed down my fb commenting and started forcing myself off of it little by little. I’ve met a lot more cool peeps off this forum than I ever have on fb, time to get back to that. And wheel more, now that the kiddos are older and I can spare some weekends here and there.

wrund

Interesting. I don't know many people who FB any more, at least not adults. I think the traffic died largely out of boredom, besides FB. The runs were good but turned into cliques. I had a Blazer at the time and the last 3-5 runs I went on people didn't "feel" that I should be on their "Jeep" run. So those of us without Jeeps got bored, some stayed around and others moved on. Even Jeep owners got bored with the cliques and moved on.

jfrey123

Interesting. I don't know many people who FB any more, at least not adults. I think the traffic died largely out of boredom, besides FB. The runs were good but turned into cliques. I had a Blazer at the time and the last 3-5 runs I went on people didn't "feel" that I should be on their "Jeep" run. So those of us without Jeeps got bored, some stayed around and others moved on. Even Jeep owners got bored with the cliques and moved on.
Try wheeling a Kia lol. I got a fair amount of that at first but earned my way into some of the cliques. Then everyone I was cool with got cooler rigs and bigger tires and I couldn’t go with them anymore.

ManNamedJed

Its really unfortunate. Forums are such an amazing resource. FB sucks for discussion forums. The same questions get asked every day. People get tired of answering the same thing over and over and stop participating.

I'm active in a variety of forums for different hobbies. They have had a substantial downturn in traffic.

Pirate4x4 is also way down.

Maybe there is some way to encourage more tech and build threads? Could forum sponsors offer prizes or discounts for good contributions?

DirtyChemist

I’m trying to take photos for a “build” thread as I’m not finding what I want online and I am NOT going back to Facebook. I deleted the account....like “you’re going to lose all these photos forever” deleted and had a few people ask me through forums if I wasn’t on Facebook.

I don’t care what’s you wheel. Kia. Blazer. Toyota. Jeep. I’d rather have a group of people who want to wheel. I took my stock Tacoma on one run and didn’t know anyone. I remember feeling like I was left even though I wasn’t far behind.

Maybe when I start BUILDING my Jeep I can start posting photos and someone could share it to social media. I just find it funny to hear Facebook is making groups that sound identical to forums and people complain, yet stay there.

Even tapatalk sucked. I MIGHT be willing to try that for photos when I need to upload stuff.

3rd Petal

Build write ups and trail reports is what originally got me here, now I don’t ever see that stuff anymore...

I gotta work on updating my write ups, I just can never find the time anymore. And since there isn’t much for good photo hosting sites anymore, that makes it a pain too...

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Uploads are now available to all.

I am working on upgrading to a different forum software, as the current one is pretty old and causes compatibility issues with modules on the server.

69cj5

Dennis, It has been a while since I was frequent on this site, mostly because I am building a vette these days.

FWIW, the corvette forum I am more frequent on these days is very active. Many more build related discussions and the overall forum tries to do relevant news as well. I mostly follow the build as well as the portion of the site where people sell and buy related items. Only related items can be sold on that site and there are some pretty specific rules on selling items. The other forum is pretty nazi like with conflict in their posts. Not sure I am in favor of that, but it apparently works, because it is very active.

This site seems like it turned into a gun site more than an offroad site several years ago with no significant amount of off road content. My impression (right or wrong) is I can likely buy a gun pretty easy here today, but no significant off road content to speak of. I mostly check this site out for nostalgic reasons these days.

69cj5

Build write ups and trail reports is what originally got me here, now I don’t ever see that stuff anymore...

I gotta work on updating my write ups, I just can never find the time anymore. And since there isn’t much for good photo hosting sites anymore, that makes it a pain too...
2nd this.