Why is forum traffic down?

DirtyChemist

This site seems like it turned into a gun site more than an offroad site several years ago with no significant amount of off road content. My impression (right or wrong) is I can likely buy a gun pretty easy here today, but no significant off road content to speak of. I mostly check this site out for nostalgic reasons these days.
I remember when this happened and I think Dennis did a good job making sure people couldn't make an account and post here. I think it died off with Arms list becoming more popular.

I did like watching ManNamedJed posting stuff from his Suburban. Even if no one ever commented.

ManNamedJed

I did like watching ManNamedJed posting stuff from his Suburban. Even if no one ever commented.
Thanks, was wondering if anyone was paying attention. Funny that thread got many more 'views' here than the mirror one I posted on the 67-72ChevyTrucks forum, but I got a lot more comments there.

Hope to have more updates soon!

Bill

First I would like to say, that you have asked a great question. And look at all of the responses that came back. More than I've seen in a long time. This forum is not as dead as it seems. In the replies I see a common theme. Social media and video games have taken over the minds of the younger generations. They would rather pretend, than actually do. What a shame. On the flip side. People our age ( 40's to 60's I'm assuming). Are so busy living day to day life. That we forget to take time for " self care ". I.E. hobbies and recreation. Of which I am as guilty as anyone. My girlfriend and I have been doing more solo trail runs lately, than group runs. We put up a thread for last weekend, and got 1 reply from the bay area and 1 snarky comment. We went up jumbo grade yesterday. Saw a couple of dirt bikes, and a few sxs. I guess that is another factor. More non street legal options these days. By the way, count me in for May 9th in Dayton. Looking forward to it. And I am really hoping for a large turn out for a great cause. I would like to meet more like minded people and possibly set up some runs for the upcoming summer season. In my opinion there needs to more organized events, to rekindle the passion we all feel for the great outdoors. Come on guys. Is one Saturday or Sunday per month, to much to ask for our selves, our happiness and preservation of sanity. Instead of making comments, let's make plans!!! And actually do something. Which seems to be the real root of the problem.
P.S. All of the trails I've been on are in great condition, due to a light winter. LET'S GET OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

tahoe1028

In your opinion, what are the main reasons for the reduced participation of people on our forum? Is it the older software? Features? Social media integration? Lack of mobile support? Or perhaps it's not technology related at all?
Mobile, and ease of use

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
I quit posting much on all the forums I was on when adding images became more of a pain than it was worth and 90% of old posts lost their images.
I still wheel quite a bit and see a bunch of people out in the dirt, not sure why R4x4 has gotten so quiet.

We need another Bill. You either loved him or hated him but he was pretty consistent about getting people together for runs.

BUILTnotBOUGHT

The main reason I quit visiting forums was all the pictures getting removed. I’d love to see R4x4 make a comeback, but everyone’s into golf carts nowadays so I think it’ll be hard to get the same traffic

DirtyChemist

The main reason I quit visiting forums was all the pictures getting removed. I’d love to see R4x4 make a comeback, but everyone’s into golf carts nowadays so I think it’ll be hard to get the same traffic
I remember you building your Toyota. Did you drive it up V Rock in reverse? I agree about golf carts. I just bought tons and it’s still going to be better than a side by side.

I need to make some time to do Sunday runs. I think it would help pick up traffic.

kairo

Staff member
I remember way back in the day, there were a bunch of us hooligans in our early 20's that were wheeling beat up POSs . That group is now in their mid 30's. You "old guys" are even older....

I think life caught up to a bunch of us. And I'm not seeing any younger folk coming around. A lot of that is facebook.

The prices on used jeeps seems to get crazier and crazier. I see so many cool built rigs for sale that expect you to pay retail for every mod they have on them lol.

Any of you guys remember that black '79 F150 I had? Bought that with a brand new set of 35's and a hotrod motor for $2500. Haven't seen a 79 Ford for under $5k lately.

Hobby's getting expensive!

WILLD420

A lot of us just got busy. We are still here but not wheeling much. I would love to get weekend runs going again but I just haven’t had the time to do anything except work and family stuff for a couple years now. Hopefully that changes this summer.

DirtyChemist

Yeah I totally agree on everyone getting older. It’s exhausting being old (30s) and I’m sure it just needs to get scheduled a lot more so people can plan it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I remember way back in the day, there were a bunch of us hooligans in our early 20's that were wheeling beat up POSs . That group is now in their mid 30's. You "old guys" are even older....

I think life caught up to a bunch of us. And I'm not seeing any younger folk coming around. A lot of that is facebook.

The prices on used jeeps seems to get crazier and crazier. I see so many cool built rigs for sale that expect you to pay retail for every mod they have on them lol.

Any of you guys remember that black '79 F150 I had? Bought that with a brand new set of 35's and a hotrod motor for $2500. Haven't seen a 79 Ford for under $5k lately.

Hobby's getting expensive!
I think that big Ford was the first time I met you and Connect.

For me I've been off forums more because my hobbies have shifted more to home projects as I got older. I don't care for facebook groups at all when it comes to trying to find any kind of technical info. Forums are where its at for that. But I think younger generations aren't into saving links to builds and things like we were.

WILLD420

Yeah I totally agree on everyone getting older. It’s exhausting being old (30s) and I’m sure it just needs to get scheduled a lot more so people can plan it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
30's......Lol. try mid 40's...

It's all I can do to get little things done between kids and work. Think I'm going to have to ditch
work...

xjmonkey

Reasons R4x4 lost traction:

1. Facebook/ social media craze which sucks because as mentioned following anything is impossible, I dont FB
2. Pics. Photobucket. (n)
3. Arms trading, saw a jump in members years back just for the pewpews.
4. Trails exposure. There were a lot of new members coming on board years back and i hate to say it but not everybody respects the trails. I saw quite a few people stop posting about trails/runs/wheeling in general because as more trails were made public info the more bad publicity it seemed the 4x4 community received. Too many nofucksgiven attitudes.
5. Community. Seems like there was an awesome group of members for years but many have fallen off R4x4. Im guessing #1 has a lot to do with it.

These are some of the things Ive noticed over the years. I personally got bored when friends stopped wheelin. Went solo for awhile then tore down my rig and never got the itch to finish it. Sold it and concentrated on some more important things in life.
Now my friends are all building rigs again 💩

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
BTW Dennis what happened to the home page?
The one for the old forum was a third-party add-on and was starting to have issues from old age. The new software doesn't have one. I feel like between What's New and Forum listing with it's sidebar, there's no need for one.

ZJchukar

The one for the old forum was a third-party add-on and was starting to have issues from old age. The new software doesn't have one. I feel like between What's New and Forum listing with it's sidebar, there's no need for one.
I'm a fan.