Wind Fairing for roof rack?

Spence621

I'm trying to make a wind fairing for my roof rack. I want to cut down the air resistance and noise. Any ideas on what I can make it with or how to secure it?

IMG_2018.jpg
[/IMG]

Ron4x4

Make it with the same metal as the rack and then add sheet metal or Aluminum to it
IMG_1249.jpg
. Here is mine Works wonders in reducing wind noise and I gained 1+ MPG going down to Sacramento.

MotoMatt

Sound like a good idea, but what will you do with the lights then?

get someone to CNC some holes in the fairing right where the lights would be. then you could either have it to where there are tabs on the fairing to secure the lights to or still mount them on the rack. lots of places are doing CNC for cheap right now

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Sound like a good idea, but what will you do with the lights then?

build a quick release mount. They aren't legal to run on the street anyways. I'd also think about using some kind of plastic. Plastic doesn't rust and if you get the right stuff you can heat it with a heat gun and mold it a bit.

MotoMatt

build a quick release mount. They aren't legal to run on the street anyways. I'd also think about using some kind of plastic. Plastic doesn't rust and if you get the right stuff you can heat it with a heat gun and mold it a bit.

those are probably 55watt lights making them legal (and just as bright as headlights which i never understood why someone would spend money on auxiliary 55watt lighting but thats a different story completely). unless you were considering the placement. not quite sure if secondary lights are allowed to be that high up.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
those are probably 55watt lights making them legal (and just as bright as headlights which i never understood why someone would spend money on auxiliary 55watt lighting but thats a different story completely). unless you were considering the placement. not quite sure if secondary lights are allowed to be that high up.
the wattage is legal but I thought I read they couldn't be higher than your headlights

MotoMatt

the wattage is legal but I thought I read they couldn't be higher than your headlights

thats what i wasnt 100% sure about. i know there is a law stating that driving lights can only be so high (54" maybe?) but wasnt quite sure about secondary lights if they fell under that law as well.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
thats what i wasnt 100% sure about. i know there is a law stating that driving lights can only be so high (54" maybe?) but wasnt quite sure about secondary lights if they fell under that law as well.

I believe I saw they cant be higher than your headlights and that would make sense because its a safety issue on the glare of oncoming drivers

MotoMatt

I believe I saw they cant be higher than your headlights and that would make sense because its a safety issue on the glare of oncoming drivers

true. its all about common sense though. i used my 8" 130watt pro comp lights all the time while driving down poorly lit roads. if i saw somebody coming from a distance i shut them down. as soon as they passed id kick them on again. never got pulled over but was still taking the risk and was prepared to accept it if i ever did. but i played the common sense card and never shined them directly on anybody (unless they really pissed me off). but those were 130watt lights that actually made a difference on the lighting of the road. 55watt lights are useless IMO. not going to do much difference if your taking the risk of getting pulled over

Spence621

Yeah I don't use them too much, unless there aren't street lights. I know they aren't too luminous, but I like the better coverage they provide. For the Fairing, I would like it to be removable, and cover everything, no slots for the lights. I like the idea of plastic, CashMoney, but I don't know how I would fasten it to the bare roof. Attaching it to the rack isn't an issue, I can figure that out.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Yeah I don't use them too much, unless there aren't street lights. I know they aren't too luminous, but I like the better coverage they provide. For the Fairing, I would like it to be removable, and cover everything, no slots for the lights. I like the idea of plastic, CashMoney, but I don't know how I would fasten it to the bare roof. Attaching it to the rack isn't an issue, I can figure that out.

I don't know that I'd attach it to your roof. I'd extend the lower part of the rack to make mounts for it if it was me.

Spence621

That's a great idea, thanks. Any ideas as to where I can get the plastic? I know home depot has lexan sheets, but they're too big/expensive for my needs.

NoTownXJ

You could always just "find" a road or street sigh somewhere and make it out of that. They make great body panels and dash panels along with other things.