Would you recommend a Garmin E-trex?

kairo

Staff member
I'd like to get a GPS just to keep with me in the jeep. Anyone have experience with the E-Trex? If so, which model?

Thanks

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
kairo said:
I'd like to get a GPS just to keep with me in the jeep. Anyone have experience with the E-Trex? If so, which model?

Thanks

i've got eTrex Vista C, it's nice. USB connection and color screen.

rusty_tlc

The Garmin is a nice unit.
Features to look for with any GPS
-Map capability, being able to buy and load topo maps make a GPS way more usefull.
-Memory, be sure the unit has enough memory to load the ares(s) you will be in a lot.
-PC interface, being able to upload routes and waypoints from a PC makes a GPS way more usefull.

My main problem with Garmins is the antenna, it is directional. You need to keep the GPS horizontal to maintain sat. lock. Magellin's antenna is helical which means you can stick it in your jacket pocket or on a windsheild mount and keep lock. My Legand was basicaly useless in my truck with it's steel cab, I use my Magellian with no problems. The Magellian Explorist similar to the eTrex line if you want to comparision shop.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
rusty_tlc said:
My main problem with Garmins is the antenna, it is directional. You need to keep the GPS horizontal to maintain sat. lock. Magellin's antenna is helical which means you can stick it in your jacket pocket or on a windsheild mount and keep lock. My Legand was basicaly useless in my truck with it's steel cab, I use my Magellian with no problems. The Magellian Explorist similar to the eTrex line if you want to comparision shop.

I've had my Vista clipped onto my backpack and it was pretty much vertical, but it worked fine. Besides, for his use in a rig, it would be easy to mount it horisontally to the dash or center console.

The issue with the roof interfering: Nick, borrow a similar unit from someone and see if that's going to be an issue in the XJ.

rusty_tlc

Denis said:
I've had my Vista clipped onto my backpack and it was pretty much vertical, but it worked fine. Besides, for his use in a rig, it would be easy to mount it horisontally to the dash or center console.

The issue with the roof interfering: Nick, borrow a similar unit from someone and see if that's going to be an issue in the XJ.
Chevy/ford jeep/toyota garmin/magellin :D :D :D

The legand would work in the truck if I laid it flat on the dash over the heater vents. Tough to read that way while your driving down a dirt road.

Borrowing different units is a good suggestion. Both to see how it performs in your rig and to see how you like the interface. Lots of people have issues with the Magellian user interface. I like the Garmin menues better but hate the button layout.

Zebaru

I have not seen position to be a problem for the E-Trex Legend C. Ran one off and on last weekend with their little suction cup mount, and it read direction, speed, location, etc. just fine.

Travis

NevadaXJ

I have had my E-Trex venture for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it. Under $100 and easy to use. It does not have mapping, but for what I use it for, it works great.

kairo

Staff member
Just picked up an Etrex Legend. Pretty fun. Way too many options to figure out. Guess it'll keep me busy for the next few days