Wrangler Question

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
I was looking at a 94 Wrangler today. It was leaf spring all the way around.
Can the front & rear be converted to independent suspension easy & cheap?

EricsXJ

By chance do you mean coil springs and not independent suspension?

Independent suspension would be very hard to convert to, very expensive, and would be less capable in most off-road situations.

I think you'd also be the first person ever to convert a YJ to both IFS and IRS. :)

Connect

Pretty sure he meant coil, but would he not be better off paying for like a 96TJ already coiled, I mean after installation and parts....

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
ProComp coil conversion is crap. There is nothing wrong with leaf springs, if you SOA it, you'll outflex some TJ guys.

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member

Yes, coils. Just was wondering because it looks like it may be better to get this Wrangler for the trail than to modify my Grand Cherokee, and might save a few bucks in the process.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
SOA on stock springs, will clear 33s easily and 35s with some trimming, and will cost you under $500 if you do the labor yourself.

RARECJ8

considering its already wearing leaf pax, i'd leave well enough alone. besides, my leaf pack SOA shackle reverse will out flex most coils-- i'm patricular to the hotchkiss suspension design, so if it were me, i'd just it from there. Leafs are mucho simple to repari/build/maintain. I've never had a leaf spring pop out of the coil bucket, LOL>

good luck.

mb

PizzaJeep

pills' jeep... 97 tj with leaves, 60's 42" iroks.... good times. i wish i was this hardcore

Attachments

• DSCN4081i.JPG
    DSCN4081i.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 84

EricsXJ

I can see why he'd want coils - because he drives a Grand which is a very nice ride with coils at four corners. But yes, I agree with others that leaf springs can flex very well also and are much simpler than a coil spring suspension.

PizzaJeep

the differences and benefits and downfalls of both types of suspensions, make the overall gains over either one marginal...

i know what you want... coilovers!

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
So it's safe?

So the bottom line is can I make this Wrangler with leafs a better trail rig than my cherokee or grand cherokee? If the answer is yes I will buy the Wrangler....and suffer a new life without A/C....lol :eek:

It's a 94 Black Wrangler with about 140k miles, very strong motor, and a new soft top. Think I can get it for less than 5k.

Sauce

It really depends on what you want to do. Answer this question, do you want a hardcore crawler (and I am talking hardcore not just an occasional off roader) or do you just want a truck you can take on an occasional trail run (like the rubicon). If you want a trail run rig, you can put a mild lift on the cherokee and some 33's and do well. Cherokees are highly capable vehicles and have a TON of storage. One of the wranglers main downfalls is that they don't have very much storage. Wranglers have a short wheelbase (can someone post up the wheelbase for a stock wrangler and a stock cherokee) which will make the jeep more unstable in some situations (wheelbase rules :D). I also think that the automatic trans in the cherokee makes it an excellent choice (unless you like working the clutch all day on the trail). All that being said, the hwrangler has some really good qualities. They have a frame, a large aftermarket support (you can even buy bolt on springover kits now) and they seem to hold there value well. One more question, is this the I6 (4.0 liter HO) or the 4 banger (2.5L)? The I6 is an awesome engine, lots of torque and reliable. The 4 banger is a good engine if you gear the piss out of it (it is otherwise gutless), but the upside is that it is LIGHT, which is good.
Rant over ;)

Connect

The 94 yj has a wheelbase of.... 93.4" wheelbase

Man I think for $5k you could build up a sick cherokee, My project is at $3800 and that's including $700 of engine work. And it's not a beater at all, almost perfect inside and out.

I think wranglers, although cool and all, are pretty pricey (especially for the used ones)

XJ's on the other hand, especially in our area, you could find a grandma's (or your) cherokee that has been babied and build it up. Your choice in the end but I'm looking at it from a cost standpoint.

PizzaJeep

im calling a fat bullsheezy on that.. all of it. buy what you want. make it do what you want. theres exceptions to everything. if you wanna see a 93 wrangler that laughs at buggys... look at joey's sometime. hes leaf sprung, on 60's with 42"
swampers. hes stretched his wheelbase to make it atleast as long as a stock cherokee. its honestly not that hard to do.
it all just depends on what kind of work you want to put into it. what i agree on is the fact that YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH? what goal do you have in mind for a vehicle? there are no bad choices here, it just depends on what flavor you want