XJ Lift Kit

Connect

So today I am selling one of our old vehicles and with it I'm going to order the 4.5" kit from rough country. The one with the shackles/aal rear lift. Although it's a "complete" kit, some people don't sell them with swaybar drop brackets, and none come with dropped pitman arms.

So questions come up, for another $60 do I have to get a pitman arm for this lift, and are swaybar drop brackets necessary? Should I get a new steering stabilizer if mines not broken?

I think the kits without the swaybar brackets are $40 less then the ones with it.

Other then those the kits are straight forward and cheap. Should be easy enough to install, I plan on going through the whole jeep from engine tune-up to brakework while its on jacks. Also I want to replace all the bushings in the front end just to be safe.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Connect said:
So today I am selling one of our old vehicles and with it I'm going to order the 4.5" kit from rough country. The one with the shackles/aal rear lift. Although it's a "complete" kit, some people don't sell them with swaybar drop brackets, and none come with dropped pitman arms.

So questions come up, for another $60 do I have to get a pitman arm for this lift, and are swaybar drop brackets necessary? Should I get a new steering stabilizer if mines not broken?

I think the kits without the swaybar brackets are $40 less then the ones with it.

Other then those the kits are straight forward and cheap. Should be easy enough to install, I plan on going through the whole jeep from engine tune-up to brakework while its on jacks. Also I want to replace all the bushings in the front end just to be safe.

i wouldn't run a pitman arm, unless you're doing something to the trackbar as well (to keep the trackbar and draglink parallel)

i had about 6" of lift on my XJ with JKS discos and no drop brackets for the swaybar. as long as the links for the swaybar are long, you don't need those brackets.

blackwidow

hey connect......well I got the 4.5" Rough Country full leaf pack and it came with the drop brackets and everything as well. I would get the pitman arm...it helps a lot...and i only have the JKS disco's as well, no ext. sway bar links or anything, you don't need them...unless you go over 7 inches of lift.

blackwidow

Oh and I don't know how long oyu have been looking for, but when i bought my lift...on ebay just like you are, i was about to buy the same kit you are until i saw the 4.5" full pack set up with free shipping for less then what you are gonna pay.....So maybe just keep oyur eye out for deals like that.

Scrub

I Was wondering if i would be the first person to say soemthing about that, but i think he meant to say that you should just stick with the stock pitman arm.

-Matt-

kairo

Staff member
I don't have a pitman arm. I duct taped my drag link to the steering box output :loser:

EricsXJ

LMAO! No pitman arm is definitely the way to go!

Seriously, you don't need a DPA at 4.5". I'm not even running one at 6.5". If you still want one, get a ZJ pitman which equates to approx. 1" drop compared to a stock XJ pitman. The 1" shouldn't give you that much bumpsteer. A friend of mine has that without relocating the trackbar and he has had no complaints at all. I definitely would not run the "cow tongue" DPA from Skyjacker. Its way too low plus its a lot of leverage on your steering box if you don't have it reinforced.

You also don't need a swaybar drop if you get longer swaybar disco's. You do want to disco them right? The rear swaybar you just throw in the garbage.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the trackbar relocation bracket on the axle end either but I haven't seen one in person to fairly judge.

Connect

Well blackwidow, The full leaf pack kit from RC is $585 with free shipping, so I don't know what you got but If I wanted full leafs in the rear I would go with Scrubs old Dakota leafs, he gets great flex with them for half the price of new ones. I just want to run AAL's for now.

If it comes with the kit I'll put it on, because I'll be taking it apart anyways so no big deal. I think I will drop the rear sway bar and see how it feels.

Probably fab a pair of disco's, when I do my bumper.

Anyways probably gonna order it right now, been busy allll week, just want to sleep.

blackwidow

well i got the full leaf pack from RC for 500 out the door off of ebay....they usually go for around 550-600 but i just waited and stumbled upon one of the buy it now deals for 500

Connect

Yea if I had found one i would have but I've been looking since I got my jeep. This kit's fine for now, If I work alot this summer I want to upgrade to a RE 6.5" kit :)

But for now this is a good starter kit, I ordered it last night but I accidentaly ordered 2 :O so I gotta cancel the second one.

I'm ordering re-treads monday and picking up rims at summit whenever I'm back in reno.

blackwidow

well you know i have (4) 31x10.5x15 muds that they sale and a spare 31 AT that a re mounted on 15x7" black rock crawlers that i am selling in about a week. If you are interested let me know....you can look at the if you want too. I think they have about 2500 miles on them.- dustin

Connect

Yea I remember, tell you what im in town tommorrow, send me a pm of when your available to look at them. Probably driving up tonight (rally the jeep in some snow)