Yay! Front Recovery!!

NevadaXJ

Bought some tow hooks and brackets from the local junk yard ysterday for $15, and even got them installed the same day.... that's a first for me! Put my lights on too, hoped to hook em up today, but the rain didn't let me....

hooks1.jpg

hooks2.jpg

NevadaXJ

PizzaJeep said:
haha..dont let anyone know your licence plate #'s

I may use these pics elsewhere. The other day on another message forum I am a part of, a guy posted a pic of his car, and blasted others for the cars they drive. The other forum members used his license plate number, and were able to dig up AND POST his SSN, address, and phone number on the public forum. Talk about identity theft just waiting to happen. There are more and more public info tools becoming available for use to the general public on the internet.... better safe then sorry.

Connect

$20 you can get someones entire record, unless your like a cop or a PI.

True better safe then sorry, but you could at least put a cool picture there instead of your lp's, whiting out the numbers makes us think you have something to hide :)

Why didnt you trim around the hooks completely? might look better

PizzaJeep

ok fair enough, kinda cheesy though.. i agree atleast put a pic of something cool over it. but the truth of the matter is, if anyone REALLY cared enough to get your licence plate #'s they could - find your jeep at your home, work or on the road... reno (in your case dayton so its smaller and worse yet) is not all that big. my licence plate numbers arent hard to find anywhere, lots of people know me and know where i work- if someone wanted to steal my identity - please do go ahead! oh, and here: take my car loans, maxed out credit cards with ya- i dont like them anymore haha

i also second the cutting of that bottom curtain thingy i got annoyed with it on a weekly basis, bending and deforming it all the time, i dont have a pic of the final product of what it looked like, but basically i unscrewed the part under the bumper and then took a utility knife to the lowest part of the fender flare until it was even and looked clean- i think it looked a whole lot more appealing when it was done. i had to paint the skid plate after i was done though, since you could see more of it. i just got some flat black rattle can. ultimately i took the skid plate off to have more clearance for steering and approach angle, but you may not be interested in doing that, cuz i know you like your jeep to look really cute hehe

Attachments

• curtain cut xj.jpg
    curtain cut xj.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 101

NevadaXJ

I'm not worried about people locally. It's the bored little script kiddies hiding behind their computers trolling message forums that concern me. Like I said, two days ago I saw what they could do. I post an many other, bigger forums, and I share my pictures there. I am much more polite here than I often am there, so it's safe to say there may be some people out there with a grudge against me. , you know, people for whom message forums are life, and not entertainment. Better safe than sorry. Also it takes two seconds to blank it out with white, versus cutting and pasting pictures over it.

As for the plastic skirting, I considered cutting it out, but for now, I like it where it is. It doesn't affect clearance, and wouldn't make a noticable visual difference with it gone, so I feel no need to do the work to remove it. If I ever get around to an aftermarket bumper it will probably come off, but for now i like it where it is at. It also serves as "keepers" for the hooks. They won't let a strap slide off if it is just hanging.

Connect

Yea, It acts as a nice warning before you ram your front end into the ground. It will go when I get my custom bumper fabbed up.

PizzaJeep

fair enough... i guess i could see it being legitimate..

yea the curtain thing always got bent and scratched on rocks.. and the screws that held it to the bottom of the fender flare were never matching, so i did the best solution... got rid of it all!

NevadaXJ

So I was looking through some tow hook write ups last night, when I realized there is a third piece to the tow hook brackets, some L-brackets. Ooops...

Went to PnP today, and found one Jeep with the brackets, but the one side was collapsed so I couldn't get to the last bolt. Then I found another XJ that used to have the full brackets, but everything was gone.... until I looked down.... and found both L-brackets I needed laying right there under the Jeep.... How lucky can I get???

I wanted the chrome diff covers that someone mentioned... but they were already gone....

RARECJ8

John, nice, um... blingy... chrome hooks. LOL. WAY better than nothing, which unfortunately is all too often the case. :eek: If it works, then thats fine in my book! Most hooks also have an accompanying spring metal clip that is bolted in line to hold ur strap on the hook. As u have them now, with the slightest slack in the line, ur strap will simply fall off onto the ground-- not the best of situations. I've seen dudes duct tape the strap in place on the hook for anything more than a very simple one time tug.

i might have a spare clip-- i'll look in the junk box.

mb