YOTES

y0da

Got one this morning. I had an older apache e-caller. Not the best, but apparently it works. Not disclosing the location.

xkmacx86

My father is coming up for Christmas, we have plans to go out hunting. It has been recommended to me to go out to the limbos, stillwater, and north of yearington. Years past we haven't gone out far enough and have yet to get a coyote. Does anyone have a recommendation on one of these three or even another area? Not looking for the secret spot but looking for the best chance for sucess. Thanks guys

Nvghostrider

Last winter started out dry. Very little vocal response and random physical encounters. We called it around mid December as what we saw was a scraggly bunch of thirsty dogs. With little water in our area it seemed fruitless to hunt something already fighting to find a drink.

Nvghostrider

This year seems to be shaping up after Sunday's scouting, but winter following should be even better. Massive jackrabbit populations from the rain we've gotten over the last few months.

Nvghostrider

Very promising scouts so far. One first year trotted right up to us while driving down a moderate traffic backroad, fair amount of scat in a few spots, and the rabbits are getting jumpy. Still a ways to go before temps are right but getting excited!

Nvghostrider

Honestly I seem to like the scouting and all the other preparations more to a certain point. Hitting the range again Sunday and retracing a few paths to check for any changes.

Nvghostrider

Vacation: time away from the fam with my bestest friend on a dog hunt. Looking at a Winnemucca centric weekend trip since there is available lodging and open range accessibility. Thinking this will be a great experiment and experience I'll have to share. Probably a post new year activity and something I may seek critique on before submitting for publication.

Nvghostrider

Quick morning hop around one of our usual spots for our first calls of the season. Sunday was an odd morning as it was warm and lightly breezy due to the impending storm. Didn't really expect to see anything but we had already committed to the first weekend of November being our yearly opening.

First set called nothing. No birds, no distant barks or howls, and the bright sun kept hopping clouds until about 730. Wind was opposite of our normal morning so we decided to loop around and reset on the opposite end of this spot.

Next setup looking into the same direction as the previous. More consistent cloud cover, wind picked up from the earlier breeze but time of day felt better. A little after four minutes of calling and this 25-30 pound male peeped is through two bushes. My bud saw him peek once for about twenty seconds then turn and move behind the hill he peeked. We reset a few degrees right but he popped up ten feet behind his previous spot with only his head completely visible. A single shot through the light brush dropped him instantly. Upon inspection we found out that he was peeking over the light brush standing on his hind legs.
62gr Nosler Ballistic top from an 18" Rainier 223 Wylde AR barrel.
b45a9d260c32ef81613c728715853692.jpg

What was he peeking over the bush to see? I'm not really sure...

202817ac3b213633aee03d9836ac77f1.jpg

Didn't get the truck parked as low as we thought. We found this spot off of a dirt road. It is a small bowl littered with scat that we'd driven by numerous times and was only found by pre-hunting time walking.